Nov 16, 2011, 3:32 PM EDT
Hey — actual basketball related news! Enjoy this post for the diversion from the lawsuits and foolishness.
Keith Smart, let go as head coach of the Golden State Warriors after one season, has been picked up to be an assistant coach on Paul Westphal’s staff in Sacramento, reports the Sacramento Bee. He joins 12-year NBA veteran Bobby Jackson, who also was just hired as an assistant coach.
Smart led the Warriors to 36 wins last season, which is just about where the talent on that team was going to land them. But he was never really the guy handpicked by the Warriors new ownership, he was just the guy who was not Don Nelson. Smart never really stood a chance, but did a solid job in his year.
While we’re doing assistant coach notes, the Philadelphia 76ers have hired Jeff Capel in that role. He played for and was an assistant coach at Duke, learning from some guy with a weird last name who is supposed to be pretty good.
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 8
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 44
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 18
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record