Would lost season increase chances Kings move to Anaheim?

Nov 15, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT

honda2center72109327 Getty Images

You want to know why NBA owners were willing to cut off the Maloof brothers at the knees, block a Kings move to Anaheim and give Sacramento one more shot to keep its only major league sports franchise?

Yesterday.

The owners have understood from the start this was going to be a long and ugly NBA lockout. And even if this were a situation where the league and players had reached a deal this week, the ability of the Kings to win over fans in their new home was compromised. “Hey, we’d love you all to pay to come out and see us play, as soon as we are done arguing about how to split up your money.”

So Sacramento got one more chance — a real chance to get plans for a new arena moving forward enough to keep the team.

But can they pull that off in the wake of a lost season? Mayor Kevin Johnson worked hard to rally businesses and fans, to show the groundswell of support for the team. Now is that all being thrown out with the first months of the NBA season (at least)?

USC Sports Business Institute executive director David Carter told the Orange County Register things just got a lot tougher for Sacramento and look better for Anaheim.

“Missing a meaningful amount of the upcoming NBA season will certainly have an effect on Sacramento’s interest, willingness, and ability to keep the Kings,” Carter said. “Public sentiment about the lockout doesn’t help anyone, but it can really impact any franchises that are in flux.”

Sacramento’s chance to keep the Kings is real, but it already had a lot of challenges. Then this week Billy Hunter threw another big hurdle out there on the track. Like the whole lockout, it doesn’t seem fair, but it’s reality.

1. cosanostra71 - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I live in Anaheim and I don’t want them to move. We are all Lakers fans. Clippers have a hard enough time, how are the Kings going to be able to do it? If anyone should move to the Pond it should be the Clippers. Sterling had a chance too but turned it down.

• texmex2 - Nov 15, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Your right, I moved from Texas to Orange Co., Kings would only be Clippers 2b….~

• cosanostra71 - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I’d be interested to hear the reasoning behind the two thumbs down to our comments. I don’t know anyone that would become a Kings fan if they moved, so I’d like to be proven wrong!

• sshameless - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I live in Fullerton. I’d support an NBA team in Anaheim.

2. jonirocit - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I really dislike the NBA now anyway but if the kings leave Sacramento it’s officially over for me and I really hope the scumbag millionaires umm players go away . Ohh wait if theirs no NBA then those criminals will have too much time on thier hands

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches