Nov 15, 2011, 11:19 PM EST
Tuesday would have been the first payday of the first payday of the year for NBA players — as of today they are missing paychecks. How much money are we talking? CNBC’s Darren Rovell breaks it out for some of the big names and yes, Kobe Bryant just missed a more than $1 million payday. But of course, that’s before taxes, after taxes it’s barely enough to live on (*cough*).
Some owners thought going into this that if the players missed a paycheck or two the owners leverage would skyrocket. Instead, the players have dissolved the union as its negotiator and filed antitrust lawsuits against the owners. They are fighting back.
Which may well doom the season.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16