Nov 15, 2011, 11:19 PM EDT
Tuesday would have been the first payday of the first payday of the year for NBA players — as of today they are missing paychecks. How much money are we talking? CNBC’s Darren Rovell breaks it out for some of the big names and yes, Kobe Bryant just missed a more than $1 million payday. But of course, that’s before taxes, after taxes it’s barely enough to live on (*cough*).
Some owners thought going into this that if the players missed a paycheck or two the owners leverage would skyrocket. Instead, the players have dissolved the union as its negotiator and filed antitrust lawsuits against the owners. They are fighting back.
Which may well doom the season.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 60
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89