Some players have not felt ‘in the loop’ with union

Nov 15, 2011, 11:38 AM EDT

Glen Davis, Antonio McDyess AP

When NBA union director Billy Hunter asked for a show of hands in a New York hotel on Monday it was unanimous. All the guys in the room backed the idea of the union filing a “disclaimer of interest” and taking the fight to the courts.

But for some rank-and-file players who would rather just get back on the court, they don’t feel heard in all this.

Take what Glen Davis told the Boston Herald. The Celtics (well, free agent) forward speaks for others.

“I don’t think I’ve been kept in the loop as far as what’s going on and how things are going on,” he said. “I want to be kept in the loop, but when I say that, they say, well, come to the meetings.

“It’s not just Paul (Pierce, Celtics team rep) making that decision,” said Davis. “It’s also Derek (Fisher) and Billy Hunter. I talk to players, but my friends are guys like Paul and (Kevin Garnett) – guys who are in a different stage of their careers. I don’t talk to a lot of the guys who are more in my stage, like Carl Landry and DeJuan Blair.”

On the other coast, Kings forward DeMarcus Cousins was frustrated, too, as are a number of younger players, he told the Sacramento Bee.

“Some of the young players I talked to, it’s not about the money. We just want to go out there and play ball,” Cousins said. “For me, it’s knocking off time for me to be improving as a player. This whole situation is really not helping out us younger players.”

With 450 members in the players’ union — well, trade association now — it’s not going to be able to keep everyone happy. Some guys care and seek out the information, others stand back and let others take the lead. Not everyone is going to seek out the information on where things stand.

But remember that while the sentiment in that New York hotel conference room was unanimous, it is not across the full width of the NBA.

1. dcipher80 - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM

If they were confident that their position was the right one and was supported they their constituencies they would have had the entire body vote. Stern speaks for the majority of the owners. Hunter and Fisher speak for Hunter and Fisher.

• LPad - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM

So Fisher wasn’t elected union president?

2. acdc363 - Nov 15, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Oh davis you big baby!

3. 00maltliquor - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM

If he wanted to really be in the loop then he should’ve took heed and showed up at the meetings! No one wants to call him up on the phone or text him and re-hash 12 or so hours of what was said a day. People got families to go home to and tell that same long, boring story to.

• LPad - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Exactly. He said he wanted to be in the loop so they invited him to the meetings. They didn’t withhold information, he chose not to be involved.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches