Nov 15, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
Barcelona — already one of the powerhouse clubs of European basketball — could become dominant thanks to the NBA season winding its way toward oblivion.
Both Gasol brothers — the Lakers Pau and the Grizzlies’ Marc — could sign to play for the club as the NBA cancels the season. That is the big news in today’s rush of players trying to get paid to play overseas.
‘If they cancel the season we would like to play here (in Barcelona). I speak for myself, but Marc would also like to play for Barcelona.’ Also assessed the possibility that Real Madrid tried to sign his brother. ‘I can not imagine him in white, but nothing is impossible.’ Pau said the cancellation would have a very nice season for the European leagues. ‘The best players in the world would be free and eager to play in other leagues,’ he said.”
In other player movement news:
• Andres Nocioni will play for Penarol in Argentina now. Nocioni is getting a pretty small salary but the team is picking up the insurance on his NBA contract. There is an opt out but if the lockout continues he likely stays.
• The Xinjiang Flying Tigers in China would like to get Jamal Crawford, reports ESPN. Crawford is a free agent and could play the full rest of the Chinese season (through March) then return to the NBA if there is a season going.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 6
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 22
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10