Nov 15, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
File this under the “any time I think the players can wait out the owners slap me”…
Lockout hardliner and Trail Blazers owner — not to mention Microsoft co-founder — Paul Allen is going to enjoy the Olympics in London next summer like the rest of us. Heck, it might well be the next time we get to see NBA stars like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant and others play with anything meaningful on the line.
With the 2012 Olympics in London just around the corner, the race for position among megayacht owners is well underway. Berths for about 30 yachts are being prepared around London’s waterways for the big event, but most of them will only accommodate smaller vessels…. Only one of moorings will be able to accommodate a truly enormous yacht – and word is Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen has already snagged it for his 414 ft. Octopus, the world’s 12th largest, the Australian reports.
I don’t want to make this into a “why is he a hardliner he could afford to give back to the players and end this lockout” thing (even though he could). Paul Allen made his money in the tech industry and one would think has made money on the Blazers during his ownership (remember he bought the franchise for just $70 million it’s now worth more than $350 million, but his accountants claim he’s lot money). If he chooses to ruin a league for the sake of being frugal, that’s up to him.
But if you own a megayacht that has it’s own pool, a 63-foot “service ship” to go with it, two helicopters, two submarines, and (as Eric Freeman points out) its own Wikipedia page, why do you name it “Octopus?” Is that really the best, most creative name you could come up with? Really?
You can do better Paul Allen. On all fronts. Well, except yacht parking spots.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49