Nov 14, 2011, 10:39 AM EDT
The NBA players union meeting — one that could end up helping decide the fate of the NBA season — is going on as of 9 a.m. Monday morning in New York.
Here’s where things stand as the meeting starts:
• Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Russell Westbrook and a number of NBA stars and players — not just official team representatives — have shown up for this meeting. Which is going to make for an interesting dynamic. Kobe reportedly wants to accept the 50/50 deal out there, while others like Etan Thomas are opposed to the plan. The loudest voices will carry the day in a crowded room like that.
• Chris Duhon, the team rep for the Orlando Magic, said his team would vote to accept the deal and put David Stern’s offer to a vote of the players. Note that Duhon was one of the players who was slamming the deal on twitter, but clearly he heard from teammates who felt differently.
• Out of respect for this meeting, the agents and players planning to try and decertify the union — they say they have the necessary 130 signatures (more like 200) to file to start the process — will not file those papers Monday. However, Tuesday is a real possibility.
• Contraction is not dead and the players union has concerns about it, specifically that if the owners do it there could be changes in the BRI split that would hit players in the pocketbook.
• Smart money still says the players vote to modify the owners offer and approve that, throwing the ball back in the owners court. They are not buying another do-or-die deadline from David Stern. But that is a risk.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 76
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 19
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (78)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay