Nov 14, 2011, 10:39 AM EDT
The NBA players union meeting — one that could end up helping decide the fate of the NBA season — is going on as of 9 a.m. Monday morning in New York.
Here’s where things stand as the meeting starts:
• Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Russell Westbrook and a number of NBA stars and players — not just official team representatives — have shown up for this meeting. Which is going to make for an interesting dynamic. Kobe reportedly wants to accept the 50/50 deal out there, while others like Etan Thomas are opposed to the plan. The loudest voices will carry the day in a crowded room like that.
• Chris Duhon, the team rep for the Orlando Magic, said his team would vote to accept the deal and put David Stern’s offer to a vote of the players. Note that Duhon was one of the players who was slamming the deal on twitter, but clearly he heard from teammates who felt differently.
• Out of respect for this meeting, the agents and players planning to try and decertify the union — they say they have the necessary 130 signatures (more like 200) to file to start the process — will not file those papers Monday. However, Tuesday is a real possibility.
• Contraction is not dead and the players union has concerns about it, specifically that if the owners do it there could be changes in the BRI split that would hit players in the pocketbook.
• Smart money still says the players vote to modify the owners offer and approve that, throwing the ball back in the owners court. They are not buying another do-or-die deadline from David Stern. But that is a risk.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49