Nov 14, 2011, 7:16 PM EST
Deron Williams (playing in Turkey) and J.R. Smith (China) look pretty smart right about now, don’t they?
Now, with the NBA labor talks at the point where the players’ union is dissolving and the chances for an NBA season look bleak, other players want to be smart.
A number of players have started talking about going overseas now and you can bet a whole lot more will be saying the same thing in the next 48 hours. Star players will find a market — there is always room for special talents — but with most European teams having their rosters set, there will be a lot less room than most players and agents think.
Source close to Durant says Thunder star will now widen his net and talk to more teams beyond Valencia, BBC Bayreuth and Maccabi Tel Aviv
Durant is one of the five best players walking the planet today, so there is always room to add a guy like that to your team. It’s going to be harder for others. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo tweeted some names getting serious about overseas.
The guys who might find it more difficult are guys like Darren Collison, the Pacers point guard who tells Mike Wells of the Indy Star he is seriously considering going overseas. Collison is a fine player, but while a European team might be willing to toy with chemistry to bring in Durant or Gay, Collison is not an irreplaceable talent.
But expect pretty much every player still stateside to start talking about Europe in the next few days.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 0
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39