Nov 14, 2011, 7:16 PM EDT
Deron Williams (playing in Turkey) and J.R. Smith (China) look pretty smart right about now, don’t they?
Now, with the NBA labor talks at the point where the players’ union is dissolving and the chances for an NBA season look bleak, other players want to be smart.
A number of players have started talking about going overseas now and you can bet a whole lot more will be saying the same thing in the next 48 hours. Star players will find a market — there is always room for special talents — but with most European teams having their rosters set, there will be a lot less room than most players and agents think.
Source close to Durant says Thunder star will now widen his net and talk to more teams beyond Valencia, BBC Bayreuth and Maccabi Tel Aviv
Durant is one of the five best players walking the planet today, so there is always room to add a guy like that to your team. It’s going to be harder for others. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo tweeted some names getting serious about overseas.
The guys who might find it more difficult are guys like Darren Collison, the Pacers point guard who tells Mike Wells of the Indy Star he is seriously considering going overseas. Collison is a fine player, but while a European team might be willing to toy with chemistry to bring in Durant or Gay, Collison is not an irreplaceable talent.
But expect pretty much every player still stateside to start talking about Europe in the next few days.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 3
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 12
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 15
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43