Nov 14, 2011, 7:16 PM EDT
Deron Williams (playing in Turkey) and J.R. Smith (China) look pretty smart right about now, don’t they?
Now, with the NBA labor talks at the point where the players’ union is dissolving and the chances for an NBA season look bleak, other players want to be smart.
A number of players have started talking about going overseas now and you can bet a whole lot more will be saying the same thing in the next 48 hours. Star players will find a market — there is always room for special talents — but with most European teams having their rosters set, there will be a lot less room than most players and agents think.
Source close to Durant says Thunder star will now widen his net and talk to more teams beyond Valencia, BBC Bayreuth and Maccabi Tel Aviv
Durant is one of the five best players walking the planet today, so there is always room to add a guy like that to your team. It’s going to be harder for others. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo tweeted some names getting serious about overseas.
The guys who might find it more difficult are guys like Darren Collison, the Pacers point guard who tells Mike Wells of the Indy Star he is seriously considering going overseas. Collison is a fine player, but while a European team might be willing to toy with chemistry to bring in Durant or Gay, Collison is not an irreplaceable talent.
But expect pretty much every player still stateside to start talking about Europe in the next few days.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 0
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 2
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 15
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18