Nov 14, 2011, 7:16 PM EDT
Deron Williams (playing in Turkey) and J.R. Smith (China) look pretty smart right about now, don’t they?
Now, with the NBA labor talks at the point where the players’ union is dissolving and the chances for an NBA season look bleak, other players want to be smart.
A number of players have started talking about going overseas now and you can bet a whole lot more will be saying the same thing in the next 48 hours. Star players will find a market — there is always room for special talents — but with most European teams having their rosters set, there will be a lot less room than most players and agents think.
Source close to Durant says Thunder star will now widen his net and talk to more teams beyond Valencia, BBC Bayreuth and Maccabi Tel Aviv
Durant is one of the five best players walking the planet today, so there is always room to add a guy like that to your team. It’s going to be harder for others. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo tweeted some names getting serious about overseas.
The guys who might find it more difficult are guys like Darren Collison, the Pacers point guard who tells Mike Wells of the Indy Star he is seriously considering going overseas. Collison is a fine player, but while a European team might be willing to toy with chemistry to bring in Durant or Gay, Collison is not an irreplaceable talent.
But expect pretty much every player still stateside to start talking about Europe in the next few days.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 0
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 3
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 35
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record