Nov 14, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
Should the Orlando Magic retire the number No. 1 jersey of Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway?
Here are the stats: Hardaway played six years in Orlando, was a four-time All-Star in that span, helped the Magic reach the NBA finals, was two-time First Team All NBA, and along with Shaquille O’Neal helped put the Magic on the map as a franchise. He was big in the community, but injuries took its toll on his game.
“I think when the season starts – whenever that may be – he should have his jersey put up for what he did not just the team, but for the city,” Howard said. “We all know how great Penny has been for the game of basketball.”
Penny played in Howard’s Orlando charity game recently and got the loudest ovation of all the players, the Sentinel reports. Maybe there is a groundswell of support for that in Orlando.
The question is, what is the line where you say a player has done enough, is big enough to get a number retired?
For Dwight Howard, not moving on next summer might be enough.
If Penny does get his jersey retired, I want ‘lil Penny to do the introduction.
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 93
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit 83
- If Spurs win, Tony Parker should be the Finals MVP 24
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (95)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'