Don’t expect President Obama to help with lockout either

Nov 14, 2011, 7:49 PM EDT

kobe-obama-420 Getty Images

NBA fans desperate for one voice of reason to step in and smack the NBA owners and players to their senses better not look to president Barack Obama for that help.

Obama, a huge basketball and NBA fan (who attended Michigan State vs. North Carolina on an aircraft carrier last week), is treating the NBA lockout the same way he is treating the Republican presidential debates — stay out of the way of that train wreck.

Obama told the New York Times he is no stepping in to help with the lockout.

Asked about the impasse between the NBA owners and players, Mr. Obama quipped, “It’s killing me.” But he said, “I’m not going to intercede. I’ve got some bigger fish to fry.”

“In a contest between billionaires and millionaires,” Mr. Obama said, “they should be able to figure out how to divvy up their profits in a way that serves their fans, who are allowing them to be making all this money — not to mention all the folks who work in the concession stands and in the parking lots of facilities all across the country.”

So, I guess we NBA fans are left with Knicks owner James Dolan as the voice of reason. No, that doesn’t make me feel very good, either.

1. blueintown - Nov 14, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Before people start posting, I hereby make it a rule that you may not use any of these words:

Socialism. Taxes. Rich people. Poor people. Tea Party. Nancy Pelosi. Student Loans. Liberty. America. Deficit. Debt. Ruin. Basketball.

Go.

• trbowman - Nov 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Too late.

2. therealhtj - Nov 14, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Translation – “neither side has given substantial enough contributions to my campaign to make this worth my while to bother.”

3. mvpolamalu - Nov 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM

My question iś who would believe me if i said 2 months ago that the lakers would finish the year with 0 wins and the cavaliers would have 0 losses

• trbowman - Nov 14, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Uh, I would have believed it if you told me a year ago. I’ve been expecting no season for aaaaaaages

4. trbowman - Nov 14, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Thank God, I want that man no where near…..well, anything.

• obsolete777 - Nov 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Yeah, like in charge of killing Bin Laden…Oh, Wait-

• trbowman - Nov 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM

You’re seriously one of THOSE people?

Whatever, it’s a basketball talk website. I’m not going to bother getting into it.

5. virusgvr - Nov 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Hahahaa!!! That comment by blueintown is quite possibly one of the best posts ever!!!

6. JackLeone - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:54 AM

How come he’s “Mr. Obama”?? That is so disrespectful. He’s the president. He’s been the president for almost four years. Such lack of respect.

7. goforthanddie - Nov 15, 2011 at 1:28 AM

I don’t recall asking for his help on the matter.

8. poorlittlepinkus - Nov 15, 2011 at 7:50 AM

That’d work. The most devisive president in history in charge of more union shenanigans.

9. vomitingliberals - Nov 15, 2011 at 8:42 AM

The Republican presidential debates are a “train wreck”? LOL! Try again, the Obama administration is the “train wreck”! If one look at the state of the economy doesn’t allow fools to see that much then there is no hope of recovery. Yes Bush had a hand in it, but Barry has tripled Bush’s damage since arriving. Dodd & Frank, the two Dems that destroyed the housing market by forcing banks to make loans to people who had no ability to pay their rates all in the interest of “fairness” & “social justice”, still have legislation on the books. Barry doesn’t care, he’ll just keep spending until we collapse, and all of you useful idiots will keep voting for him because you just don’t know any better and the media does the thinking for you.

I you ever want to see professional basketball this season, you’d better pray that Obama doesn’t get involved in the ongoing legal matters!

• blueintown - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM

But, c’mon, those debates have been hilarious train wrecks.

• cordae - Nov 15, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Right. Like Rick Perry’s infamous “You dont have a heart” quote when he referred to people not wanting to school illegal immigrants. Newsflash, you’re at a REPUBLICAN debate, I don’t think there was a single heart in that room lol

• thenoblefacehumper - Nov 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I think you need to do a little research on the Dodd-Frank act buddy.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards