Nov 14, 2011, 8:36 AM EDT
When we were talking about Boston needing a veteran backup point guard for Rajon Rondo, this is not exactly what we had in mind.
“I have already spoken to Allen about that and many other opportunities, and of course he would be interested in anywhere in the NBA but Boston is particularly attractive to him,’’ Moore said, “because of Danny Ainge, the organization, and one of the most respected coaches he knows in the business in Doc Rivers.
“He has the utmost respect for Doc Rivers and the current roster of players. Allen would relish the opportunity to play in that organization.’’
Iverson will turn 36 next season and is coming off an injury (and surgery) that kept him off his Turkish team at the end of last season. The reason he was in Turkey was he could not get an offer from an NBA team after being a disruption (and not particularly good on the court). For him to get back in the NBA, he’s got to first convince a GM that he is physically ready to come back and contribute, then secondly convince that same GM he will not be a locker room distraction.
Can he do all that? Maybe. He may well have matured and be ready to play a role. But do the Celtics — a team with title aspirations but no margin for error — want to test that out? Certainly the Celtics have a strong locker room that could deal with any distractions. But is it worth it for the Celtics to take that risk? And can AI still provide enough on the court to make it worth it, or would Boston be better off going younger (and likely cheaper)?
Ainge is willing to take risks. So maybe Beantown is a possibility. But I wouldn’t bet on it.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65