Nov 14, 2011, 8:36 AM EDT
When we were talking about Boston needing a veteran backup point guard for Rajon Rondo, this is not exactly what we had in mind.
“I have already spoken to Allen about that and many other opportunities, and of course he would be interested in anywhere in the NBA but Boston is particularly attractive to him,’’ Moore said, “because of Danny Ainge, the organization, and one of the most respected coaches he knows in the business in Doc Rivers.
“He has the utmost respect for Doc Rivers and the current roster of players. Allen would relish the opportunity to play in that organization.’’
Iverson will turn 36 next season and is coming off an injury (and surgery) that kept him off his Turkish team at the end of last season. The reason he was in Turkey was he could not get an offer from an NBA team after being a disruption (and not particularly good on the court). For him to get back in the NBA, he’s got to first convince a GM that he is physically ready to come back and contribute, then secondly convince that same GM he will not be a locker room distraction.
Can he do all that? Maybe. He may well have matured and be ready to play a role. But do the Celtics — a team with title aspirations but no margin for error — want to test that out? Certainly the Celtics have a strong locker room that could deal with any distractions. But is it worth it for the Celtics to take that risk? And can AI still provide enough on the court to make it worth it, or would Boston be better off going younger (and likely cheaper)?
Ainge is willing to take risks. So maybe Beantown is a possibility. But I wouldn’t bet on it.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18