LeBron says he wouldn’t not take himself in a one-one match with Kobe that will never happen. Yeah, you read that right.
Nov 13, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Look, I get the need for grammatical correctness. I do. But there are times in which the double-negative more aptly describes the sentiment being expressed. Yes, technically, the correct version would do the same For example.
I don’t not want pancakes.
I want pancakes.
In both instances, the subject is expressing a desire for pancakes. But the difference is that one is denying a state of disapproval for something, while the other expressing a distinct desire for said pancakes.
So when LeBron says “I’m not going to not take myself against anybody,” that’s a lot different from “I will take myself over anyone.” One is a statement of belief that you would take whoever you were playing one-on-one. The other is an expression that you’re not going to short yourself or go in lacking belief in yourself. It’s just more accurate for him to say that. The mindset is “No one can beat me,” versus “I can beat anyone.” It’s subtle, but it’s there.
Oh, and by the way, maybe not ask him the question anymore. Yeesh, Lebron. Chill out, Mr. Man.
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 5
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 9
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 6
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics 3
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay