Nov 12, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
ESPN’s Shaun Powell reports on Twitter:
This is much akin to “Unicorns may cure cancer, if they exist.” The primary problem is that unicorns don’t exist. Similarly, the rank-and-file NBA players that would vote for such a deal don’t have a voice. Those that don’t want to accept any concessions have a voice, that of the agents and the players those agents rep. Those that don’t want this deal but want to keep talking have a voice, the NBPA leadership. But there isn’t anyone to speak up for those players, no powerful voice, no strong element of leadership to say “Look, before we go all half-cocked and start chasing a victory on the wings of the decertification hippogriff, maybe we should vote on the measure to see how close we really are to it.” That player would look weak, would look like a scab, would look to be sniffing at the owners’ boots, despite the fact no one on the players’ side wants this deal, it benefits no one, and a vote simply gauges where they’re at.
So instead, we’ll just have rabble rousing and decertification and a hefty “unified” no on Monday, an opt for the courts and the loss of the 2011-2012 season. Unless someone powerful steps up to say this deal needs to get done it won’t be. The silent majority has no power if it remains silent.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'