Nov 10, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
This is why Rick Barry did not get the job as president of the National Basketball Players Association.
The Hall of Fame player and legendary Warrior thinks the players are basically powerless, need to fold and take the deal the owners offered. Really, he thinks the players should have taken the painful deal the owners offered months ago.
“If I was still a player today I would be totally ticked off by the fact that we didn’t make a deal months ago. I really do believe that this could’ve been resolved and should’ve been resolved a long time ago. Why they always have to come down to this I don’t know. I’m not a big fan of Billy Hunter. I think Billy Hunter is one of the worst things that happened to the NBA. Yes he got them an unbelievable deal last time but he also was responsible for the lockout in the late 90’s which cost the players 1/3 of their salaries basically and got nothing for it. The same thing is happening here. What they’re doing is they’re making a situation which is a bad situation worse by standing firm. Standing firm for what? You’re standing firm to get nothing. All you’re trying to do is minimize the losses that you have to accept in order for there to be a deal put in place. The owners have made it perfectly clear they can’t survive with the way the deal was last time. I keep reading these statements ‘well we’re not going to give back what we fought so hard to get.’ Well what you got was more than you should’ve gotten. Accept it, lick your wounds, make a deal, take a little bit of a reduction.”
A lot of fans feel the same way, especially seeing a season teetering on the brink.
But the players don’t see it that way, and frankly if Barry were a player he would not either. Hunter and the system in place were good for the players and the league — the NBA has been its most popular when stars have dominated. See the Bulls and Jordan as example number one. And few players want to get rid of a guy who helped them make more money.
Although Barry is not thinking like a player. He’s thinking like Barry.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7