Nov 10, 2011, 1:12 PM EST
There are still questions about what the NBA labor deal will finally look like, but you can be sure that an amnesty clause will be part of it. Teams will get the chance to release one player and wipe his contract off their books (the player will still get paid).
The Miami Heat are likely to send Mike Miller and the remaining four years, $24 million (not to mention two surgically repaired hands) packing.
The veteran forward said Wednesday he is just taking stock of the current situation in both his career and the NBA. And that means taking stock of his 9,968-square-foot estate with the $180,000 in annual property taxes.
“It’s a couple of things,” Miller said. “Just preparing myself; never know what can happen.”
Miller’s is exactly the kind of deals owners want to get out of more easily. This was a good deal when it was signed — Miller is the kind of floor-spacing shooter the Heat need but he also can rebound and is a solid all-around player. He should have meshed well with the Heat.
But injuries (one serious to his hand in the preseason) robbed him of that chance and there are real questions about how he bounces back. He was there for most of the playoffs but hit just 29 percent from three and 34 percent overall. It’s not worth the $24 million risk for the Heat.
So if you want a nice home in the Miami area — and have $9 million burning a hole in your pocket — we have a suggestion.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)