Nov 9, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
You knew — or at least hoped — the two sides would sit down one more time and talk before David Stern’s self-imposed deadline.
We’ll see if it does any good, but the two sides will meet around 1 p.m. Eastern in New York according to multiple reports (ESPN’s Chris Broussard broke it).
The league is working on getting some owners to fly in for the meeting, according to Marc Spears at Yahoo.
Heading into the meeting the owners have put an ultimatum on the table, a take-it-or-leave-it offer that Tuesday the players said they would leave. The players want a few more tweaks to the system side and they would meet the owners at a 50/50 split of revenues (which is not really 50/50 because the owners take $600 million plus off the top, but we’ll let that go for now).
The ball is in the owners’ court. They can give a little more on system issues and allow a little more player movement and room for teams that want to spend to spend, or they can scuttle these talks and try their rollback offer that will almost certainly cost the entire season if they stick to it. It’s time to make a deal.
We’ll see if it happens, but at least they are talking.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?