Nov 9, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
David Stern threw down an ultimatum last Saturday night (early Sunday morning, actually) — accept our deal by 5 p.m. Wednesday or we are going to replace it with a deal so bad for players we might as well cancel the season. Okay, he didn’t say anything about canceling the season, but he might as well have.
Well the deadline has come and gone…. and nothing.
The owners and players are still negotiating in New York through the deadline. They had met for more than four hours Wednesday as of this writing. The reality is the deadline was artificial anyway, so long as the sides are talking and making some progress they will keep going at it. Consider it the Alan Jackson/Jimmy Buffett theory — It’s 5 O’ clock Somewhere.
If the talks blow up again maybe Stern will pull the current offer and put off the rollback offer out there, but for now nothing.
For now, we wait.
The players rejected the owners offer as is saying they would consider a 50/50 basketball related income split so long as the owners gave more on system issues such as the mid-level exception and luxury tax issues. Stern can make some tweaks to the offer, but not big ones.
We sit and wait to see if that is enough.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte