Nov 8, 2011, 11:13 AM EDT
Right now, Ricky Rubio is a fixture in high-level pickup games with other locked out NBA players in Los Angeles. He turned down the chance to play in Barcelona during the lockout, instead staying in the United States trying to get used to the NBA style game.
The cultural adjustment from Barcelona to Los Angeles is not an easy one, but both are large, diverse, cosmopolitan cities. Winter in Minneapolis will be another adjustment all together.
“I talk with KG, too, and he talked to me great things about Minnesota. He said the crowd cheers very hard for the team. They love the sport. We have to fight to give them what they are waiting for us to do, to win.
“I’m from Barcelona and now I’m in California, so Minnesota will be a big change. In the end, you have your house and you have the skywalks to go through, so that will make it easier for me. I have seen snow before: For a week in the mountains, but for no more than a week.”
Just guessing, but Rubio doesn’t own enough jackets yet.
Yes, we get the irony of KG, the guy who forced his way out of Minnesota and setting the franchise back a decade, talking up the place. The fact is, he liked the place, he didn’t like the franchise as a business. And Rubio is there for a while, no reason to sour the kid on what is to come.
Besides, Minnesota could be a very interesting place to play next season. Whenever that is.
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 2
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 0
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 8
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 4
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 24
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 4