Nov 8, 2011, 7:48 PM EDT
Among all the information thrown out there during the NBA players union press conference rejecting David Stern’s ultimatum offer, there was this little bit from director Billy Hunter:
He has heard the league is going to cancel games through Christmas if there is no deal by 5 p.m. Wednesday (his drop-dead date).
The league has not confirmed anything about that, but it’s getting close to that time. Even if the two sides reached a deal this week it would take about 30 days to ramp up and have regular season games. That already leaves very little margin for error to get a deal done and games on Christmas.
And Christmas is huge — it is a second opening day for the league. It is the first games on national broadcast television. It is when the average NBA fan really starts to pay attention.
Miss Christmas Day and that is a huge black eye for the league.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29