Nov 7, 2011, 1:45 PM EST
This is the press conference that shook the NBA 20 years ago today. Larry Bird said after he saw it he felt like he did the day his father had taken his own life. Dick Ebersol, the longtime head of NBC Sports (which carried the NBA at the time) said he cried. A lot of people cried that day.
Two decades later, we celebrate how Ervin “Magic” Johnson changed the face of HIV. But this is the somber video of that day.
Thanks to Eye on Basketball for finding this.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 9
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8