Nov 7, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
This is the press conference that shook the NBA 20 years ago today. Larry Bird said after he saw it he felt like he did the day his father had taken his own life. Dick Ebersol, the longtime head of NBC Sports (which carried the NBA at the time) said he cried. A lot of people cried that day.
Two decades later, we celebrate how Ervin “Magic” Johnson changed the face of HIV. But this is the somber video of that day.
Thanks to Eye on Basketball for finding this.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43