Nov 7, 2011, 1:45 PM EST
This is the press conference that shook the NBA 20 years ago today. Larry Bird said after he saw it he felt like he did the day his father had taken his own life. Dick Ebersol, the longtime head of NBC Sports (which carried the NBA at the time) said he cried. A lot of people cried that day.
Two decades later, we celebrate how Ervin “Magic” Johnson changed the face of HIV. But this is the somber video of that day.
Thanks to Eye on Basketball for finding this.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30