Nov 7, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
This is the press conference that shook the NBA 20 years ago today. Larry Bird said after he saw it he felt like he did the day his father had taken his own life. Dick Ebersol, the longtime head of NBC Sports (which carried the NBA at the time) said he cried. A lot of people cried that day.
Two decades later, we celebrate how Ervin “Magic” Johnson changed the face of HIV. But this is the somber video of that day.
Thanks to Eye on Basketball for finding this.
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 2
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 40
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7
- Report: Lakers considering bringing back Metta World Peace 33
- PBT Extra: One-on-one with Stephen Curry 0
- LeBron James pumped to play with Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving again 10