Nov 7, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
USA Basketball and coach Mike Krzyzewski are among those with their hands tied because of the NBA lockout.
If there is a late-starting, condensed NBA season where the playoffs run into late June, he will get some tired players when Team USA opens its Olympics training camp right after the Fourth of July next year.
Because of that, it sounds like Team USA is trying to keep its training schedule on the light side. France wants to schedule a friendly warm-up game but according to FIBA.com (via Sheridanhoops.com) the Americans are hesitant to do much of a tour of Europe before heading to London for the games (which start July 27).
Team USA would like to limit the number of games they play in Europe as they already have two against Spain and one in Manchester (against Great Britain). “We’re putting some pressure on to get that game with the date set for 24 July. So let’s see (a French team official said).”
Team USA will be a heavy favorite at the London games, but it will be interesting to see how a condensed NBA schedule and late playoffs could impact the quality of play at the games (and in the pre-Olympic qualifying tournament).
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 0
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 9
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 55
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17