Nov 6, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
You’re going to be seeing a lot of reactions to the dramatics of Saturday night’s end to talks. Some players will likely just say that they want to play; it’s not that they want to cave, they’re just tired of the whole damn thing and don’t think it’s worth it. You’re going to see a lot more outrage, including some players who may previously have been conciliatory and now will become acerbic. That’s what happens when you threaten and give ultimatums after bullying and pressing someone for two years and when you provide an offer that doesn’t even allow them to save face (a 50-52 band heavily weighted towards 50-51 would give the players the ability to say they held at 52 without giving them 52… but noooo).
And then you’re going to have those who have wanted to go after the league through the courts for months coming out stronger than ever. One such player plays for Besiktas in Turkey in front of 2500 people a night. Deron Williams on Twitter:
We’re about to see exactly how large that contingent of players supporting decertification and antitrust action is, and how big it grew to be after Stern and the owners’ tactics Saturday.
If the players don’t buckle like the league is betting they will, everyone loses. Players won’t win the suit, league loses the season, owners own a team that doesn’t exist, more jobs will be lost, fans lose games, basketball in America is hurt. No one wins. The league has given the players two options: take an offer that hurts your earning potential, union strength, and dignity, or ruin everything.
Great choices. It’s like the menu at an iHOP without breakfast food.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38