Nov 5, 2011, 7:04 PM EDT
R.C. Buford has made a lot smart decisions as Spurs general manager.
Friday night he made a stupid one.
He was arrested for driving under the influence, reports KSAT.com.
A police spokesman confirmed Buford was arrested after crashing into the fence in the 500 block of N. Leona just west of downtown late Friday night….
Records at the magistrate’s office show Buford was charged with driving while intoxicated with an open container. He posted bond and was released early Saturday.
The Spurs and Buford released this statement.
The event involving Buford, who is a type 1 diabetic, was precipitated by a severe low blood sugar reaction. A San Antonio police officer responded to the scene and Buford was subsequently detained and charged with possession of an open container and a DUI. No injuries were caused by the accident.
“I take great pride in being a positive member of our community and deeply regret this incident. I apologize to our community, our fans and the entire Spurs family,” Buford said.
Unlike players who have been arrested for a variety of things during the lockout, Buford is still under contract with the team and would be subject to a league fine or punishment.
Buford has been GM of the Spurs since 2002, they have won at least 50 games in every season and have three NBA titles in that time.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 2
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 15
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 23
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29