Nov 5, 2011, 7:04 PM EST
R.C. Buford has made a lot smart decisions as Spurs general manager.
Friday night he made a stupid one.
He was arrested for driving under the influence, reports KSAT.com.
A police spokesman confirmed Buford was arrested after crashing into the fence in the 500 block of N. Leona just west of downtown late Friday night….
Records at the magistrate’s office show Buford was charged with driving while intoxicated with an open container. He posted bond and was released early Saturday.
The Spurs and Buford released this statement.
The event involving Buford, who is a type 1 diabetic, was precipitated by a severe low blood sugar reaction. A San Antonio police officer responded to the scene and Buford was subsequently detained and charged with possession of an open container and a DUI. No injuries were caused by the accident.
“I take great pride in being a positive member of our community and deeply regret this incident. I apologize to our community, our fans and the entire Spurs family,” Buford said.
Unlike players who have been arrested for a variety of things during the lockout, Buford is still under contract with the team and would be subject to a league fine or punishment.
Buford has been GM of the Spurs since 2002, they have won at least 50 games in every season and have three NBA titles in that time.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 39
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 37
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10