Nov 5, 2011, 7:04 PM EDT
R.C. Buford has made a lot smart decisions as Spurs general manager.
Friday night he made a stupid one.
He was arrested for driving under the influence, reports KSAT.com.
A police spokesman confirmed Buford was arrested after crashing into the fence in the 500 block of N. Leona just west of downtown late Friday night….
Records at the magistrate’s office show Buford was charged with driving while intoxicated with an open container. He posted bond and was released early Saturday.
The Spurs and Buford released this statement.
The event involving Buford, who is a type 1 diabetic, was precipitated by a severe low blood sugar reaction. A San Antonio police officer responded to the scene and Buford was subsequently detained and charged with possession of an open container and a DUI. No injuries were caused by the accident.
“I take great pride in being a positive member of our community and deeply regret this incident. I apologize to our community, our fans and the entire Spurs family,” Buford said.
Unlike players who have been arrested for a variety of things during the lockout, Buford is still under contract with the team and would be subject to a league fine or punishment.
Buford has been GM of the Spurs since 2002, they have won at least 50 games in every season and have three NBA titles in that time.
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 3
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 9
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15