Report: Indiana charity game canceled due to ‘uncertainty’ around labor deal. Don’t hold your breath.
Nov 5, 2011, 11:24 PM EDT
File this under: Salted by granule.
From the AP:
A charity game involving NBA players scheduled for Sunday in New Castle, Ind., has been canceled.
A release from event organizers says that because of the “uncertainty” of Saturdays NBA negotiations in New York many of the players scheduled to participate were advised to prepare for a possible agreement.
The “King of the Castle” event was to pit the Knox Indy Pro-Am League stars against Mario Chalmers Rio All-Stars. Washingtons John Wall, Memphis Zach Randolph and Los Angeles Eric Gordon were expected to play.
This is going to get a lot of excitement over nothing, which is why so many writers are hedging their bets on it. Essentially, reports that players are being “told to be ready” have already happened about six times, to no result, and as CBSSports.com points out, it’s a really convenient excuse. Additionally, here’s a response from the promoter to CBS:
Despite the tantalizing news release, the spokeswoman for the event told CBSSports.com Saturday night that organizers had no direct information from players or agents that a settlement was imminent in the Saturday night meeting in New York.
“They were all going into it wanting to come to agreement,” said Kathryn Jordan of KJ Jordan Consulting. “I wouldn’t put a lot of weight on it because guys were being told just to be prepared.”
The reality is that this is an event that fell through and it could be because the players really are being told to prepare or because the promoters couldn’t sell tickets. Regardless, the fine people of Indiana will not be seeing the exhibition, and talks continue towards seven hours of negotiations between the two sides and mediator George Cohen.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 0
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 40
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44