Report: Indiana charity game canceled due to ‘uncertainty’ around labor deal. Don’t hold your breath.
Nov 5, 2011, 11:24 PM EDT
File this under: Salted by granule.
From the AP:
A charity game involving NBA players scheduled for Sunday in New Castle, Ind., has been canceled.
A release from event organizers says that because of the “uncertainty” of Saturdays NBA negotiations in New York many of the players scheduled to participate were advised to prepare for a possible agreement.
The “King of the Castle” event was to pit the Knox Indy Pro-Am League stars against Mario Chalmers Rio All-Stars. Washingtons John Wall, Memphis Zach Randolph and Los Angeles Eric Gordon were expected to play.
This is going to get a lot of excitement over nothing, which is why so many writers are hedging their bets on it. Essentially, reports that players are being “told to be ready” have already happened about six times, to no result, and as CBSSports.com points out, it’s a really convenient excuse. Additionally, here’s a response from the promoter to CBS:
Despite the tantalizing news release, the spokeswoman for the event told CBSSports.com Saturday night that organizers had no direct information from players or agents that a settlement was imminent in the Saturday night meeting in New York.
“They were all going into it wanting to come to agreement,” said Kathryn Jordan of KJ Jordan Consulting. “I wouldn’t put a lot of weight on it because guys were being told just to be prepared.”
The reality is that this is an event that fell through and it could be because the players really are being told to prepare or because the promoters couldn’t sell tickets. Regardless, the fine people of Indiana will not be seeing the exhibition, and talks continue towards seven hours of negotiations between the two sides and mediator George Cohen.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20