Report: Indiana charity game canceled due to ‘uncertainty’ around labor deal. Don’t hold your breath.

Nov 5, 2011, 11:24 PM EDT

billy-hunter-david-stern Getty Images

File this under: Salted by granule.

From the AP:

A charity game involving NBA players scheduled for Sunday in New Castle, Ind., has been canceled.

A release from event organizers says that because of the “uncertainty” of Saturdays NBA negotiations in New York many of the players scheduled to participate were advised to prepare for a possible agreement.

The “King of the Castle” event was to pit the Knox Indy Pro-Am League stars against Mario Chalmers Rio All-Stars. Washingtons John Wall, Memphis Zach Randolph and Los Angeles Eric Gordon were expected to play.

via Charity hoops game canceled in Indiana – NBA- NBC Sports.

This is going to get a lot of excitement over nothing, which is why so many writers are hedging their bets on it. Essentially, reports that players are being “told to be ready” have already happened about six times, to no result, and as CBSSports.com points out, it’s a really convenient excuse. Additionally, here’s a response from the promoter to CBS:

Despite the tantalizing news release, the spokeswoman for the event told CBSSports.com Saturday night that organizers had no direct information from players or agents that a settlement was imminent in the Saturday night meeting in New York.

“They were all going into it wanting to come to agreement,” said Kathryn Jordan of KJ Jordan Consulting. “I wouldn’t put a lot of weight on it because guys were being told just to be prepared.”

via Indy charity game canceled due to possible deal? – CBSSports.com.

The reality is that this is an event that fell through and it could be because the players really are being told to prepare or because the promoters couldn’t sell tickets. Regardless, the fine people of Indiana will not be seeing the exhibition, and talks continue towards seven hours of negotiations between the two sides and mediator George Cohen.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Nov 6, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I’m still waiting for someone to explain to me why the players deserve to earn more than 50% of the NET BRI in their paychecks. And don’t tell me about the last CBA…it’s over. Done. This is a new CBA and it should be treated as such.

The fact is that there is no reason why the owners should pay salaries of more than 50%, after expenses, of all the basketball related income that comes into the league. Period.

The owners pay for everything, from the uniforms, to the arenas, to the food and drink, to the travel arrangements, to the medical benefits, to the marketing, to the office staff selling tickets, to the freaking mascot and dancers for crying out loud. Why the hell should they give the lion’s share of the revenue to the players in their paychecks????

50% of the NET BRI is more than fair. Period. Anything more is pretty ridiculous. And anyone who sides with the players getting more than 50% of the NET BRI is being a little bit ridiculous.

Anyone want to tell me why the players deserve more than 50% of the NET BRI when they don’t pay for a single thing they need to do their jobs?

• derekjetersmansion - Nov 6, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Do you pay for your desk at work?

• Chris Fiorentino - Nov 6, 2011 at 9:35 AM

No but I pay for my suits. And my lunch. And my breakfast. And my car. And my laptop that I use to do my work. And my home office. And my Internet access. And my medical benefits. And when I am sick I pay deductibles to get better. For medicine and medical care. And when I am sick, I don’t get paid. And when I get hurt, I don’t get the best medical care in the world free of charge.

Somebody is paying for all that stuff. Why shouldn’t it be paid for by the money that comes into the league? Why should the owners foot the bill for everything from their pockets instead of at the very least splitting it like everyone else does? Seems a bit unfair to expect the owners to just pay for all this stuff out of their share doesn’t it?

• derekjetersmansion - Nov 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM

You don’t get those things free because you do not have a world-class skill. I’d say 95% of people can do your job. Some for less money. You are not one of a few hundred people in the entire world who can play 82-100 NBA games in 8-9 months, going 110% every second. The NBA life absolutely sucks with the travel and media stuff.

And by the way, I’d say 80% of the players don’t make $1 million a year after taxes. These lockouts (NBA and NFL) are not millionaires vs. billionaires. It’s hundred-thousand-aires vs. hundred-millionaires.

• jamaicanjasta - Nov 6, 2011 at 1:08 AM

First Chris, in almost EVERY labor negotiation from steelworkers to the car companies, to teachers and yes even athletes in professional sports, past labor agreements are viewed to set a ‘precedent’ that is looked at as a baseline for the next labor contract. You don’t have to take my word for it, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that past practices can constitute precedent whether or not it is expressly stated in a contract, I think that was in the 1960’s. Here’s the exact quote, from Justice Douglas, who was on the court at the time:

“the past practices of the industry and the shop—is equally a part of the collective bargaining agreement although not expressed in it”

Whenever players ask for more money in a CBA, people that sound a lot like you complain that “the players are being greedy” but if your rationale for the owners demanding an almost 10% giveback (since at least 10 owners didn’t even like the 50-50 deal) is that each CBA should be negotiated from scratch, then it shouldn’t matter what the player’s ask for, should it? I mean, their position should be seen as starting from scratch too.

And all of this mention of ancillary costs (ie your mention of arena costs, concessions, etc) is redundant as that is taken out before we even get to the BRI divide. The reason why in most professional sports (and entertainment in general, look at the music and movie industries) the players a large chunk of the pie is because a) they are both PRODUCT and EMPLOYEE, and they have a skill set that is not easily replicated in the general public. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have owners paying them millions of dollars a season ‘just to play a game’ and movie studios wouldn’t pay actors millions of dollars per movie ‘just to pretend to be someone else for a while’.

If the owners could create a league with a couple of Jo Schmos out there on each team and pay them peanuts, they would. But they can’t, it’s not a compelling product. And just as no one is going to pay a dozen dollars to watch a movie with a couple of kids fresh out of film school who can’t act, no one is going to pay for an NBA product with terrible talent. Just because the NBA currently has a monopoly on professional basketball currently, doesn’t mean the players have to accept whatever deal the owners feel the players deserve, that’s why they’re negotiating.

Also, for people who claim to be free market, I see a lot of owner-supporters bordering on socialism with what they expect the players to take. Basically saying that the players need to ensure the owners make a profit, even if like Jordan’s Bobcats, terrible front office decisions ruin the team. The point of capitalism, in this case a professional sports team is not to ENSURE you make a profit no matter how terribly you do,

Oh and answer this question Chris, why did the owners originally want to tie BRI to individual endorsements that players signed? If the players did advertisements themselves what right would the league have to those monies?

This whole lockout episode is about a cadre of owners (who apparently are supposed to represent the best of what capitalism has to offer) running small market teams into the ground and want to be rewarded for their terrible basketball management skills. Basically, they want to be bailed out.

2. rreducla1 - Nov 6, 2011 at 12:43 AM

You, this Fiorentino guy is right. I mean, after all, the season has started right on time with the replacement players the owners brought in, and no one knows the difference. Just to take one example, when you go to a Cavs game, what are you there to see? Dan Gilbert sitting in his courtside seat. They might show the players two or three times on the Jumbotron, as a courtesy, you might glance at the court once or twice, but Gilbert’s the draw. Right on the side of this page here, an NBA site are advertising Knicks’ gear. Know what it is? A dress shirt exactly like James Dolan’s favorite. They sold hundreds of thousands of those last year. Sold maybe 10-12 Carmelo Anthony jerseys if they were lucky.

I remember last year, when I bought NBA League Pass Broadband. It was awesome. Streaming video every night of the owners doing their thing: greasing politicians, running meetings, cutting checks, making deals. Captivating stuff; gets me out of my chair every night.

And the information below from Forbes.com? Has to be wrong–just a parody piece:

___________________________________________________________

No player in the 64-year history of the National Basketball Association has come close to having the immediate and profound impact that LeBron James had when he bolted the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Miami Heat this summer. The King’s move accounted for both the biggest gain and drop in team values: the Heat’s worth increased 17%, to $425 million (seventh among the NBA’s 30 teams), and the Cavaliers plummeted 26%, to $355 million (15th).

The Heat sold out their season ticket inventory for the 2010-11 campaign after four straight years of attendance declines. Ticket prices are going up next year and ratings for Heat games on Sun Sports, the Fox-owned regional sports network, have doubled this season.
    __________________________________________

3. rreducla1 - Nov 6, 2011 at 12:46 AM

That should be “is” advertising and “You know” at the beginning. This site needs an edit function.

4. rreducla1 - Nov 6, 2011 at 12:49 AM

..Or I need to type better.

Wonder if Kurt misses his old gig, reading these guys every day…yikes…

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches