Nov 4, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
I really don’t know Larry Brown, but if you asked me if he wanted to coach in the NBA again I would have said yes. From his deathbed Brown will be trying to find a way back into the NBA coaching ranks.
Right now, that means reaching out to Doc Rivers in Boston and saying he’d be willing to be an assistant coach somewhere.
Though dismissed by Charlotte last season, he wants to coach again in the NBA. He’s understandably even more dismayed than most by the lockout. But until the next contract is signed, Brown plans to travel the country as a 71-year-old patriarch, checking out all of his former haunts and players….
“I’d go help Doc (Rivers, Celtics coach) in a minute, but he wants to help the people he’s evolved with,” Brown said. “He’ll try rewarding the guys who have put in their time with him. It works. Two of his assistants (Lawrence Frank and Tom Thibodeau) have become head coaches. We talked about it, and he wants to help the people who have been with him.
“I have no problem with being an assistant coach, but I really want to get back to coaching again, or even move into management,” said Brown. “That was a one-time thing we talked about, with the understanding that if he ever had another opening, we would talk again.”
Think there are any NBA coaches out there who feel secure enough to bring Larry Brown on their staff as an assistant? Maybe Rivers. Maybe Gregg Popovich (that would be an epic clash of personalities). But after that, can’t see it.
There’s a lot other coaches can learn from Brown, it may be time to enter the “wise mentor” portion of his career.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 13
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 28
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23