Nov 3, 2011, 1:42 PM EDT
Halloween night I was standing in the front yard of a friend passing out candy with other dads while our kids soaked the neighbors for teeth-rotting treats when one guy asked, “Can you explain the lockout to me?” I did. And halfway through it I realized there is no way to describe this without everyone involved sounding like greedy imbeciles.
Steve Nash gets it that we don’t get it.
Sure, we can talk percentages of basketball related income and punitive luxury tax implications, we can understand the nuances. But that doesn’t mean we really get the “why?”
You have two wealthy sides arguing over percentage points,” Nash said. “It’s hard for fans to understand that this is a business. I don’t blame them. If I were in their shoes, I’d be critical, frustrated or even angry. You just want to see the game you love. Both sides are arguing for inevitably selfish reasons, but also for what’s right when they are gone. It’s a big mess.”
“A big mess.” That may be the most apt description of the lockout I have heard.
Nash has tweeted (actually retweeted) criticism of Suns owner Robert Saver during the lockout. But it’s the odd bedfellows of this thing — after the lockout Saver will be dependent on Nash to get people back in the building. Nash trade rumors will swirl but it would be very hard for Saver to trade Nash because if he thought the fan reaction to the lockout was bad…
It’s just a big mess.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 5
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43