Nov 3, 2011, 1:42 PM EDT
Halloween night I was standing in the front yard of a friend passing out candy with other dads while our kids soaked the neighbors for teeth-rotting treats when one guy asked, “Can you explain the lockout to me?” I did. And halfway through it I realized there is no way to describe this without everyone involved sounding like greedy imbeciles.
Steve Nash gets it that we don’t get it.
Sure, we can talk percentages of basketball related income and punitive luxury tax implications, we can understand the nuances. But that doesn’t mean we really get the “why?”
You have two wealthy sides arguing over percentage points,” Nash said. “It’s hard for fans to understand that this is a business. I don’t blame them. If I were in their shoes, I’d be critical, frustrated or even angry. You just want to see the game you love. Both sides are arguing for inevitably selfish reasons, but also for what’s right when they are gone. It’s a big mess.”
“A big mess.” That may be the most apt description of the lockout I have heard.
Nash has tweeted (actually retweeted) criticism of Suns owner Robert Saver during the lockout. But it’s the odd bedfellows of this thing — after the lockout Saver will be dependent on Nash to get people back in the building. Nash trade rumors will swirl but it would be very hard for Saver to trade Nash because if he thought the fan reaction to the lockout was bad…
It’s just a big mess.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20