Nov 3, 2011, 1:42 PM EDT
Halloween night I was standing in the front yard of a friend passing out candy with other dads while our kids soaked the neighbors for teeth-rotting treats when one guy asked, “Can you explain the lockout to me?” I did. And halfway through it I realized there is no way to describe this without everyone involved sounding like greedy imbeciles.
Steve Nash gets it that we don’t get it.
Sure, we can talk percentages of basketball related income and punitive luxury tax implications, we can understand the nuances. But that doesn’t mean we really get the “why?”
You have two wealthy sides arguing over percentage points,” Nash said. “It’s hard for fans to understand that this is a business. I don’t blame them. If I were in their shoes, I’d be critical, frustrated or even angry. You just want to see the game you love. Both sides are arguing for inevitably selfish reasons, but also for what’s right when they are gone. It’s a big mess.”
“A big mess.” That may be the most apt description of the lockout I have heard.
Nash has tweeted (actually retweeted) criticism of Suns owner Robert Saver during the lockout. But it’s the odd bedfellows of this thing — after the lockout Saver will be dependent on Nash to get people back in the building. Nash trade rumors will swirl but it would be very hard for Saver to trade Nash because if he thought the fan reaction to the lockout was bad…
It’s just a big mess.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47