Stackhouse smacks Fisher in interview; the union has issues

Nov 3, 2011, 1:58 AM EDT

Jerry Stackhouse Getty Images

The NBA players union is starting to rip apart along its seams.

And that is not good for those of us who want to see basketball soon.

We’ve seen the tears in competing stories for days, backing either union director Billy Hunter or president Derek Fisher. (For the record, those two say there is no rift between them.) Early on Wednesday you had Terrence Williams saying he only trust Fisher in a mini twitter rant.

On Jim Rome’s ESPN show Wednesday, long-time NBA veteran Jerry Stackhouse let Fisher have it (as transcribed by Eye on Basketball).

“Not to say anything against Derek Fisher, it’s not that I don’t think he’s a great guy,” Stackhouse said, “But I don’t want him negotiating my contract. I want an agent who knows the lingo negotiating my contract. Derek Fisher, he doesn’t negotiate his own contract. He has an agent. So why would I want him negotiating something even bigger than his contract? This [Collective Bargaining Agreement] is something more important to everybody…

“David Stern, he’s made this league what it is,” Stackhouse said. “He’s one of the greatest commissioners in sports. He’s got that title, he’s got the NBA at the place where it is because he’s a shrewd businessman and knows how to work his way, play the media, play things up to get what he wants. We don’t do that. Players are emotional. Players get emotional. So no, I don’t necessarily, particularly want Derek Fisher or any of the executive committee negotiating a contract for me.”

Stackhouse goes on to say what a lot of veterans (or those who have been well compensated) and agents tend to say — that the union has given up too much over the years. That someone needs to stand toe-to-toe with David Stern.

Plenty of other more rank-and-file players are ready to strike a deal and return to work. Guys talking off the record and guys tweeting like Williams. They see a smaller window to make their money and paychecks missed hurt them. Still very good paychecks even if they take the owners deal.

Why is this bad news for fans? The problem is that until the union can get itself on the same page it becomes harder and harder for Fisher and Hunter to strike a deal they can get approved by the players.

When the players union leaders get together on Thursday, they need to figure out how to get everybody behind a deal before they can figure out what deal to push for. And that may take time.

1. velascochad - Nov 3, 2011 at 2:31 AM

stackhouse, you can complain if you earn and perform the same as kb, lbj, cp3 etc..

2. velascochad - Nov 3, 2011 at 2:32 AM

stackhouse, you can complain if you earn and perform the same as kb, d-wade etc..

3. velascochad - Nov 3, 2011 at 2:33 AM

disregard my first comment, i got carried away and include lbj.

4. ibchuck33 - Nov 3, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Will stackhouse even have a roster spot when the league starts again? I mean should he be talking? His career is all but done

5. thetooloftools - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I heard the interview and he said it was ok if players want to team up and play together and two seconds later talks about getting paid. If players want to stack the deck and “play together”, then they need to give up some money. That stunt James and Bosh pulled left a horrible taste in the owners mouth and the players are too stupid to realize it. Remember that “dog and pony show” LeBron James put on making owners come to Cleveland to “hold court”? That will never happen again as it made the whole NBA look stupid. Players need to be forced to declare their intentions PRIOR to the free agent signing period so a player (LeBron James) can’t wait until all the premium free agents are signed and then decide what he is going to do so as to sabotage the team he is leaving. The owners need to take back the game because these players are proving the money doesn’t really matter through their actions, but then scream at the negotiating table.

6. heatjake - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Are you serious? Lebron, or any player, should never have to make their intentions known prior to the FA signing period. Their contract is up and they fulfilled all contractual obligations. Players then have free reign to go wherever they want and take as long as they want to decide. The owners are greedy and manipulative, and are growing angry at the players for givign them a taste of their own medicine.

I’ll never feel bad for an owner giving Rashard Lewis type contracts out.

• southbeachtalent - Nov 3, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Jake,

Do you think Clevelanders would be crying if Wade and Bosh had joined LeBron in Cleveland? Ofcourse not. Dan Gilbert and clevelanders look like the kid that takes the ball home because he doesn’t want anyone playing until his term are met. Pathetic, maybe Miriam Webster should include Cleveland as a synonym for pathetic. I’m all for it!

I thought you guys felt better after you made the Mavs honorary Ohioans? Again, pathetic..

7. beloved45 - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Jerry Stackhouse is a washup bum, he needs to find a new career.

8. heatjake - Nov 3, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I don’t fault them for being angry at Lebron. Hell, if Wade left Miami I would be the first one to purchase court side seats to when his team visited Miami to heckle him. But the fact remains, he was well within his rights as a FREE agent to make his decision and not tell anyone. He could have waited until the end of training camp to pick a team for all he cared.

The mere suggestion that he should have had been forced to make his intentions known is ridiculous, regardless of it being Lebron, Kobe, or even Dwight Howard. Would it be nice? Yes. Do they have to… of course not.

• southbeachtalent - Nov 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I agree, although I am not that guy (heckler). I just don’t see why someone that in no way shape or form directly affects my life should warrant that much anger from me. Like i said if Wade would have left, I would have been upset. But the level of hate LeBron and this team has faced and will face is beyond biblical. I have never seen anything like it. Reminds me of the “U” days.

As to the point of forcing players to make decisions?.?.? That’s laughable..

9. diablito0402 - Nov 3, 2011 at 7:52 PM

The owners are greedy?? Its their franchise and their business they have the right to make all the money.. If you owned a restaurant, would you like the dishwashers and waiters telling you they want 52% of the profits, and demand power and tell you how to run your restaurant.. At the end of the day, players are just plain overpaid employees, right?

10. heatjake - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I wouldn’t pay a dishwasher quadruple what he/she is worth then complain that I am losing money.

11. balleriq - Nov 4, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Thats a weak comparison there diablito, the NBA players are what people come to see, they are the product. A business like a restaurant is not even close, the product is the food, people don’t come in to pay attention to the waiters/dishwashers.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview