Nov 3, 2011, 9:39 PM EDT
This could be really good or really bad.
Every time a large group of owners and players have gotten together during the NBA labor talks things have gone about as well as the last Hindenburg voyage. It’s always Kevin Garnett or Paul Allen or something that messes it up. That said, eventually a large group of owners and players are going to have to sign off on a deal eventually.
This may be an effort to make things more transparent in response to inside questions about the directions the two leaderships have been taking. It could also be a show of solidarity from each side amid reports of fractures.
One source said he has no idea what to expect from the expanded session.
“It could be that everyone gets together and cooler heads rule the day,” he said. “Or it could be one of those battle royales from wrestling. We could see players and owners being thrown over the top rope and out the hotel windows.”
There are players threatening a push for decertification of the union if progress toward a deal is not made this weekend. Something that will make the hair stand up on the back of the owners neck, but may be more likely to make some dig in their heels rather than try to compromise. The hardliners on both sides are already trying to make their voices heard. Just great.
For those looking to be optimistic, if we see progress out of this large group Saturday it could bode well for getting a deal done. If not… well, aren’t we there already?
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18