Nov 3, 2011, 9:39 PM EDT
This could be really good or really bad.
Every time a large group of owners and players have gotten together during the NBA labor talks things have gone about as well as the last Hindenburg voyage. It’s always Kevin Garnett or Paul Allen or something that messes it up. That said, eventually a large group of owners and players are going to have to sign off on a deal eventually.
This may be an effort to make things more transparent in response to inside questions about the directions the two leaderships have been taking. It could also be a show of solidarity from each side amid reports of fractures.
One source said he has no idea what to expect from the expanded session.
“It could be that everyone gets together and cooler heads rule the day,” he said. “Or it could be one of those battle royales from wrestling. We could see players and owners being thrown over the top rope and out the hotel windows.”
There are players threatening a push for decertification of the union if progress toward a deal is not made this weekend. Something that will make the hair stand up on the back of the owners neck, but may be more likely to make some dig in their heels rather than try to compromise. The hardliners on both sides are already trying to make their voices heard. Just great.
For those looking to be optimistic, if we see progress out of this large group Saturday it could bode well for getting a deal done. If not… well, aren’t we there already?
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18