Nov 3, 2011, 12:41 PM EDT
Most of us are just worried about seeing NBA basketball again this season.
Jeff Van Gundy is worried about the quality of basketball we’ll see when (if) the season starts up.
Former coach and current ABC analyst Van Gundy said the league needs to make sure there is adequate time for training camps and hopes they do not to cram too many games in close together. Do that and the quality of basketball will suffer. He spoke to the New York Post about it.
“The fans deserve what they’re accustomed to seeing — the best basketball in the world even if it costs the players and owners money,’’ Van Gundy said. “I’m hopeful the league learned from 1999 and doesn’t rush it and realize one more week of patience, one more week of camp would be beneficial to the fans. I’m hoping the league doesn’t rush teams into action. We have history to show some people reported in horrible shape.’’
“Reduced training camp, few practice days, basketball was very poor for much of the regular season,’’ Van Gundy said. “Once the playoffs began, it was more a normal schedule and a good product. But the regular season, fans paid top dollar for a very poor product.’’
Zach Lowe of Sports Illustrated took the words right out of my mouth on this one — Van Gundy is fighting the good fight, but is going to lose this battle.
It’s about money, just like the lockout. The more regular season games the more gate receipts for owners and the less television money they have to give back. So they are going to cram games in like people on a train in India. The game be damned. But then, this was never about the game, was it?
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 5
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4