Nov 2, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
When the Lakers hired Ettore Messina to be part of Mike Brown’s coaching staff, it was seen as a coup in coaching circles. Lakers fans were confused, tried to search him on their iPhones, then complained about AT&T’s coverage and gave up.
So they know, Messina is one of the brightest coaching minds in Europe, a legend there. But he faces the same big hurdle all Lakers coaches face — how do I get through to Kobe Bryant?
Messina was at a coaching conference in Europe and said this according to BallinEurope.com.
“The other day I was on the phone with the Lakers staff, asking advice on where I should get a house,” said Messina. “I was told some people prefer living close to the practice facilities; others, like Kobe, live further away. Sometimes, in order not to challenge the incredible L.A. traffic, Kobe even comes to practice by helicopter.
“At that point I thought: ‘This guy makes $25 million and comes to practice by helicopter – What am I supposed to say to him? “Down with that ass, bend your knees”?’”
Exactly. This is Kobe’s team and he will do what he wants. The more that intersects with what Brown and Messina want, the better.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 1
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17