Nov 2, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
When the Lakers hired Ettore Messina to be part of Mike Brown’s coaching staff, it was seen as a coup in coaching circles. Lakers fans were confused, tried to search him on their iPhones, then complained about AT&T’s coverage and gave up.
So they know, Messina is one of the brightest coaching minds in Europe, a legend there. But he faces the same big hurdle all Lakers coaches face — how do I get through to Kobe Bryant?
Messina was at a coaching conference in Europe and said this according to BallinEurope.com.
“The other day I was on the phone with the Lakers staff, asking advice on where I should get a house,” said Messina. “I was told some people prefer living close to the practice facilities; others, like Kobe, live further away. Sometimes, in order not to challenge the incredible L.A. traffic, Kobe even comes to practice by helicopter.
“At that point I thought: ‘This guy makes $25 million and comes to practice by helicopter – What am I supposed to say to him? “Down with that ass, bend your knees”?’”
Exactly. This is Kobe’s team and he will do what he wants. The more that intersects with what Brown and Messina want, the better.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 4
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 16
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6