Nov 2, 2011, 4:49 PM EDT
Thursday in New York the leaders of the NBA players union are going to get together … and it’s going to be interesting. Because they need to formulate a plan with the union solidarity splintering around them.
Some of that division had bubbled to the top in media reports (a couple of which forced Derek Fisher to call his attorney and threaten more litigation).
Then Wednesday second-year swingman Terrence Williams — formerly of the Nets, now of the Rockets — threw some gasoline on that fire with these tweets.
Remember, Derek Fisher is reportedly the guy willing to dip below 52 percent of basketball related income to the players to get a deal done. It is union director Billy Hunter (who did not play in the NBA but has a fascinating history) who is holding the hard line at 52.5.
There is a divide in the union, and a lot of the rank and file players like Williams are getting restless. If the owners’ 50/50 proposal were put to a vote of all the players it might win. There are agents (who want the union to hold the line at 52.5) who fear it would.
Fisher and Hunter have some real work cut out for them.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay