Nov 2, 2011, 10:40 AM EDT
Shaquille O’Neal knows how to sell books. Make friends, not so much. But he’s going to sell copies of his new book.
We already brought you excerpts where Shaq throws Kobe Bryant under the bus (and only Brian Shaw had a level head and dealt with the situation, but you don’t want him to be the Lakers coach). And there was the part where Shaq said he didn’t back down from Pat Riley.
Next up, LeBron. And how he didn’t listen to coach Mike Brown (via Hoopsworld).
LeBron was a huge star. He was as big as I was in 2000 in L.A. when I was dominating the league. … Our coach, Mike Brown, was a nice guy, but he had to live on edge because nobody was supposed to be confrontational with LeBron. Nobody wanted him to leave Cleveland, so he was allowed to do whatever he wanted to do.
I remember one day in a film session LeBron didn’t get back on defense after a missed shot. Mike Brown didn’t say anything about it. He went to the next clip and it was Mo Williams not getting back and Mike was saying, “Yo, Mo, we can’t have that. You’ve got to hustle a little more.” So Delonte West is sitting there and he’s seen enough and he stands up and says, “Hold up, now. You can’t be pussyfooting around like that. Everyone has to be accountable for what they do, not just some us.” Mike Brown said, “I know, Delonte. I know.” Mike knew Delonte was right. …
I’m not sure if Kobe is going to listen to Mike Brown. LeBron never really did. Here’s what we do know: Kobe will definitely be in charge.
I think the Kobe and Brown dynamic will be different because of the stage of his career. Brown was handcuffed with James. Kobe and the Lakers nearing the end of a championship window and they can’t waste a year feuding with the coach. They have no choice but to buy in. Kobe may be in charge but he is passionate about things like film and studying the game. It’s a different dynamic.
But it makes you wonder how Erik Spoelstra and Pat Riley deal with LeBron. Or do they have an intermediary in Dwyane Wade who can help?
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 2
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games