Nov 1, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
Season ticket holders become very attached to their seats. The like the view, the people around them, it’s part of the whole NBA experience. Screw with those seats and they get ticked off.
One such dispute with a Toronto Raptors — where his former seats that had nobody in front of them suddenly had a new row obstructing his view — has gotten going to court ugly. Raptors officials say he is just a ticket broker, not an aggrieved fan.
After a flurry of court filings, unsuccessful mediation and a lengthy discovery process over the past four years, Toronto businessman Mark Michalkoff’s complaint against MLSE is heading to a courtroom…
“All we were looking for was for MLSE to say they were sorry, but they didn’t even answer us,” said Michalkoff, who is suing MLSE for $1.6 million. “Then they insult us by calling us scalpers in a counterclaim,” he told the Star. “I’m ready to go to court and have it out. I don’t think there’s anything they can do to stop it now.”
Rajani Kamath, an MLSE spokesperson, declined to comment. However MLSE said in court filings that DLF Solutions Inc. breached its contract because it made a profit off its Raptors tickets. Michalkoff and his company, MLSE said, “are ticket brokers. They earn business revenue by reselling the tickets . . . ”
You can make money re-selling Raptors tickets? Enough to pay for four years of legal fees? That is one dedicated fan base.
Well, at least nobody is missing any games while this winds its way through the courts.
- No Kevin Love, no J.R. Smith to start, how much trouble is Cleveland in? 0
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 2
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 8
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 23
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 7