Nov 1, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
Season ticket holders become very attached to their seats. The like the view, the people around them, it’s part of the whole NBA experience. Screw with those seats and they get ticked off.
One such dispute with a Toronto Raptors — where his former seats that had nobody in front of them suddenly had a new row obstructing his view — has gotten going to court ugly. Raptors officials say he is just a ticket broker, not an aggrieved fan.
After a flurry of court filings, unsuccessful mediation and a lengthy discovery process over the past four years, Toronto businessman Mark Michalkoff’s complaint against MLSE is heading to a courtroom…
“All we were looking for was for MLSE to say they were sorry, but they didn’t even answer us,” said Michalkoff, who is suing MLSE for $1.6 million. “Then they insult us by calling us scalpers in a counterclaim,” he told the Star. “I’m ready to go to court and have it out. I don’t think there’s anything they can do to stop it now.”
Rajani Kamath, an MLSE spokesperson, declined to comment. However MLSE said in court filings that DLF Solutions Inc. breached its contract because it made a profit off its Raptors tickets. Michalkoff and his company, MLSE said, “are ticket brokers. They earn business revenue by reselling the tickets . . . ”
You can make money re-selling Raptors tickets? Enough to pay for four years of legal fees? That is one dedicated fan base.
Well, at least nobody is missing any games while this winds its way through the courts.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 26
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 30
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 18
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 14
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26