Nov 1, 2011, 3:25 PM EDT
Heat owner Micky Arison is going to be writing a big check to the NBA — $500,000 to be exact. And he can thank some of his fellow NBA owners for that.
On Halloween Arison got a trick from the league when David Stern smacked him with a heavy fine for a little twitter rant on Friday. The most offensive of those tweets, from the NBA’s perspective, was when one fan asked him what it felt to be one of the greedy pigs ruining the NBA:
“Honestly u r barking at the wrong owner.”
That apparently set off other owners, according to Brian Windhorst at ESPN.
According to multiple league sources, commissioner David Stern was lobbied by some of Arison’s fellow owners to levy the stiff fine. Arison and several of his peers have been at growing odds as the lockout has deepened — a rift which spilled over into cyberspace last week.
The owners are not a unified front right now. There are some that think they’ve gotten enough and its time to get back to basketball. The players are not a unified front either, there are some who think that they make a good living even with a 50/50 BRI and they should get back to work.
But right now those are not the people driving the bus. The hardliners are still in that seat. So here we are on the day the NBA was to open its season without basketball talking instead about fines on owners. Ain’t that swell.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15