Nov 1, 2011, 12:52 AM EDT
Any time you start to see any potential rift in unity from the players, you can expect a letter from union president Derek Fisher to the players.
Right on cue Monday — following a report saying he was in David Stern’s pocket and wanted a 50/50 split of revenues with owners — Fisher sent out a letter responding.
Sports Illustrated got a copy of the letter, and it goes hard after the Fox Sports story.
Usually I wouldn’t even dignify absurd media reports with a comment. But before these reports go any further, let me say on the record to each of you, my loyalty has and always will be with the players. Anyone that questions that or doubts that does not know me, my history, and what I stand for. And quite frankly, how dare anyone call that into question. The Players Association is united and any reports to the contrary are false. There have been no side agreements, no side negotiations or anything close. We are united in serving you and presenting the best options and getting everyone back to work.
Fisher urges unity from the players and said he has heard from plenty of them. Which should be interesting, as what we are hearing from them is a divide — there are some good with a 50/50 split and would take the deal, and some who want the union to hold out. We don’t know what the numbers are, but it seems every day there are more and more players willing to take the deal.
Fisher needs to keep his constituents unified as he pounds away for a better deal. Which is something that gets harder and harder each day.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 1
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 9
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6