Fisher thrashes report, urges unity in letter to players

Nov 1, 2011, 12:52 AM EST

Derek Fisher

Any time you start to see any potential rift in unity from the players, you can expect a letter from union president Derek Fisher to the players.

Right on cue Monday — following a report saying he was in David Stern’s pocket and wanted a 50/50 split of revenues with owners — Fisher sent out a letter responding.

Sports Illustrated got a copy of the letter, and it goes hard after the Fox Sports story.

Usually I wouldn’t even dignify absurd media reports with a comment. But before these reports go any further, let me say on the record to each of you, my loyalty has and always will be with the players. Anyone that questions that or doubts that does not know me, my history, and what I stand for. And quite frankly, how dare anyone call that into question. The Players Association is united and any reports to the contrary are false. There have been no side agreements, no side negotiations or anything close. We are united in serving you and presenting the best options and getting everyone back to work.

Fisher urges unity from the players and said he has heard from plenty of them. Which should be interesting, as what we are hearing from them is a divide — there are some good with a 50/50 split and would take the deal, and some who want the union to hold out. We don’t know what the numbers are, but it seems every day there are more and more players willing to take the deal.

Fisher needs to keep his constituents unified as he pounds away for a better deal. Which is something that gets harder and harder each day.

1. lucky5934 - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:27 AM

It is easy for the players who have money stashed away to remain united. For the players who have spent money foolishly or simply didn’t plan ahead, I can’t see them staying united for much longer. Staying united doesn’t pay the bills or impress the girls. Money does….

2. ibchuck33 - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM

True that. They can’t miss any yacht payments

3. somekat - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I wouldn’t say as much guys who spent foolishly or didn’t plan ahead. There are also guys who just don’t make that much. Sure they are rich with league minimum. But if you’d only been in the league a few years, you’ve probably blown through most of that.
    I’ll just go on what I would consider reasonable purchases for a pro athlete. House for himself/family 200k. Car for himself, 50k (they won’t be driving a kia). If he has wife/girlfriend, double that. If he has a non-live in baby mother, add 140k for a house for her/his kid. Buying your parents a house/car seems reasonable, so add another 200k for both of those. That is 590k (conservative), and all he has is a house and car. Still has all sorts of expenses.

Don’t get me wrong here, in this instance, I’d side with the owners. but the union rift, if there is one, has more to do with the fact that 0% of players, while rich, aren’t mega-millionaires. I’m sure James/Bryant/Howard/Durant/Paul etc would be willing to sit until they get their deal. But will the last 7 guys on the roster be willing to do the same?

• yournuts - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Let them sit or better yet lets have a league without them. No player is bigger than the league.

4. mikey1977 - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Stay united…blah…blah…blah…

5. mikey1977 - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:47 AM

“oh No!…most of us are gonna have to get a real job if this goes on much longer, but I can’t do that…I’ve never WORKED! I’ll I do is PLAY basketball.”

6. lucky5934 - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Hey Somekat,

No disrespect intended, but there is some serious flaws in your comment. First of all, you contradicted yourself when you said you don’t believe players spend foolishly, then turn around and admit they blow through money. Secondly, Yes a house can cost $200,000 and a car can cost up to $50,000. However, they don’t or shouldn’t be paying for all of that at once. Payments are generally spread out over the course of 3-5 years for vehicles and 20-30 years for houses. So unless a player is buying a house or car a year, it doesn’t really add up. Finally, let’s evaluate the league minimum. A rookie starts off with $457,588 (by 2009-2010 numbers). It increases by $457,588 going up every year until 10th year where it the minimum is $1,306,455. Even if a player had a baby mama, two cars and a $400,00 house, he can still live a comfortable life. Don’t make excuses for grown adults who spend more on their image than they do on their future.

7. sonofsambowie - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Bless Derek Fisher’s heart, he’s determined to go down with the sinking ship.

• texmex2 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Fisher should act like a real President and tell his brethern to stop the nonsnse 50/50 is fair, go back to work for thier own sake and the many others who rely on the NBA for paychecks. You are not hurting the owners only yourselves and 10′s of thousands of others who depend on their meger paychecks…..

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches