Nov 1, 2011, 8:04 AM EDT
There are a few guys you see around the NBA — Ron Artest and LeBron James, for example — and when you look at their build you think they could have played in the NFL.
Not Kevin Durant. He is lankly and not built for violent contact.
But he played some football Monday evening. Intramural flag football at Oklahoma State, but still some football. So tweeted James Poling of the Daily Collegian.
It started earlier in the day when Durant tweeted:
This lockout is really boring..anybody playing flag football in Okc..I need to run around or something!”
He got a response with an offer and few hours later he was in Stillwater, Oklahoma, playing some intramural game with some college kids.
Name another pro athlete would do that? Sure, I’d rather he were resting up before the season opener with the Lakers on Tuesday, but this is a pretty cool fill in. A big crowd was there to watch, including some Oklahoma State football players.
Durant played quarterback, corner and a little receiver and dominated the game, according to the Oklahoman. He threw touchdown passes, made interceptions and looked like a world-class athlete against some college fraternity members.
Durant didn’t get the win, however — his Sigma Nu team had to forfeit because he wasn’t a registered player. You think his teammates cared? Exactly. Neither would I.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 32
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 44
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42