Nov 1, 2011, 8:04 AM EDT
There are a few guys you see around the NBA — Ron Artest and LeBron James, for example — and when you look at their build you think they could have played in the NFL.
Not Kevin Durant. He is lankly and not built for violent contact.
But he played some football Monday evening. Intramural flag football at Oklahoma State, but still some football. So tweeted James Poling of the Daily Collegian.
It started earlier in the day when Durant tweeted:
This lockout is really boring..anybody playing flag football in Okc..I need to run around or something!”
He got a response with an offer and few hours later he was in Stillwater, Oklahoma, playing some intramural game with some college kids.
Name another pro athlete would do that? Sure, I’d rather he were resting up before the season opener with the Lakers on Tuesday, but this is a pretty cool fill in. A big crowd was there to watch, including some Oklahoma State football players.
Durant played quarterback, corner and a little receiver and dominated the game, according to the Oklahoman. He threw touchdown passes, made interceptions and looked like a world-class athlete against some college fraternity members.
Durant didn’t get the win, however — his Sigma Nu team had to forfeit because he wasn’t a registered player. You think his teammates cared? Exactly. Neither would I.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8