Nov 1, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT
The quote below can be taken out of context, as ego run amok. And it shouldn’t. Derrick Williams — the Arizona star who No. 2 overall to Minnesota in the last NBA draft — said what I would want any No. 2 pick to say.
He said he thought he should be No. 1.
I thought I should’ve (gone No. 1). I always have faith in myself. But you know, one or two, there’s not much of a difference right there. I’m happy with no. 2. I feel like Minnesota was a better spot for me anyways. Sometimes going one step lower can be a great thing, it could be a better fit, and I think for me it was.
Williams has a nice outside shot, can score in transition at the NBA level and is athletic. He’s going to put up points in Minny. He looked good in the free-flowing pro-am games of summer because it fits his style. But there are a lot of questions about how well he can defend at the next level, his ability to make smart plays within the half-court offense (especially when doubled) and his rebounding.
There are questions about No. 1 pick Kyrie Irving, too. But in today’s no-touch-on-the-perimeter NBA, a very good point guard is incredibly valuable. That gives Irving a potentially higher ceiling, a building block for a Cavaliers team that is starting from almost the ground up. So the pick made sense.
But if Williams is truly motivated and improves his game, in a few years we could be wondering why he wasn’t No. 1 overall.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4