Report: League fines Heat owner $500,000 for tweets

Oct 31, 2011, 6:11 PM EST

Philadelphia 76ers v Miami Heat Getty Images

You knew the second you read the tweets from Heat owner Micky Arison Friday that was he going to be forking over a healthy check to the league soon.

Those tweets included his response to one fan who accused Arison of being one of the greedy owners ruining the NBA.

“Honestly u r barking at the wrong owner.”

The price tag for that and his mini twitter rant: $500,000, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo. That was the fine from David Stern.

Want to know how you keep Mark Cuban and Dan Gilbert and other owners willing to speak their mind in line? That’s now. Since day one of the lockout Stern has been walking around threatening a $1 million fine for owners who broke ranks and talked, now he has used that hammer a little and it will have the desired effect.

It might have been a $1 million fine, but Arison insulted Clippers owner Donald Sterling, too, and that brought a smile to Stern’s face.

It’s all worth it to Stern for this reason — he can’t afford to have anything that does not look like a unified front. Keep the players thinking the owners will not back down and you get more, if the cracks show the players will stay more solid.

And while everyone worries about looking unified, the NBA season slips away day by day.

1. BrownsTown - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Uh oh, time to evade some more U.S. taxes to make up for it.

2. vegas66 - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Who died and made Stern God? Seems to me if the owners would lose this over paid jerk most all of their problems would be solved. Maybe if he didn’t get paid thru all thid time the lockout might be over by now.

3. markuban - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Wow…what a bunch whiners…ooohhh poor me…tweet…and pay a $500K fine–geesh…don’t these people have a clue…?? We are in one of the biggest economic disasters the country has ever seen and they are throwing around $500K here and $1.0MM there… like it is chump change. Maybe they should donate the fine to a homeless shelter…… I hope these guys don’t get anyone to come back to their games…..
    markuban

4. jbraxton3rd - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Why is it OK for the players to tweet but not the owners???

• cosanostra71 - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:27 PM

The players are locked out from the league, the league can’t punish them.

It’s honestly not a bad idea. The players have not bought any goodwill from all their tweets.

• sknut - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Cause Stern is an a%$%& and won’t allow any dissenssion but we all know there is some within the owners.

The other reason is that its easier to control 30 voices versus 600 and some players.

• smoothaswilkes - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Really?

5. snotienose - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I don’t get it………….

6. progress2011 - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:38 PM

DEFINITELY time for little Napolean ( aka Stern ) to go !

7. cat0325 - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Bwahahahaha

Maybe if the NBA hadn’t expanded and expanded and expanded their “season” so that it goes almost year-round I would CARE. The shortening of all future seasons would be a GREAT idea, in all honesty. Maybe make them last not ONE SINGLE DAY longer than the college basketball seasons. Even at Sept through March it’s SIX MONTHS – which is probably two months TOO LONG.

Now, don’t get me wrong … I LOVE me some football and hockey – pretty unusual for a WOMAN. But either make the game more challenging or shorten the season FOR GOOD.

8. avermaver - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:49 PM

$500,000 dollars, shouldn’t that be the fine for stabbing Stern or something, what a joke the NBA “business” is

9. bmorehomeofthewire - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:59 AM

I guess that why he’s named STERN, for his hefty fines… The owner of the Heat wouldn’t lose an Iota of sleep for that lousy slap on wrist of 500,000.

10. lucky5934 - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I am personally shocked by this decision. He does not deserve a $500,000 fine. I am completely on board with the Owners. I am not afraid to admit that I firmly believe in a 50-50 split. But this is a serious violation of the first amendment. Aside from that why should Arison take the blame when he is ready to strike a deal. I am all for demonstrating unity, whatever that means in today’s day and age. But Stern is way out of line. In my opinion, he is using this as a way to collect some of the lost revenue his league has lost.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches