Oct 28, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
Phil Jackson and former Bulls GM Jerry Krause are not exactly the best of friends. Their feud helped break up the Bulls dynasty. The two did not speak for more than a decade and it took Tex Winter going into the Hall of Fame — and him wanting those two to kiss and make up… or at least make up — that prompted them to even shake hands.
So it is no small thing that Jackson thinks Krause belongs in the Hall of Fame.
Jackson said as much recently, reports CSNChicago.com.
“I think it will happen,” Jackson said in a radio interview on WMVP-AM 1000. “The Hall of Fame is a strange institution. Because it’s about fame almost more than anything else.
“Jerry has made a name for himself in basketball, and it will probably be there for a long time. He was executive of the year and so forth. But the Hall is more interested in players coming in rather than executives or — matter of fact I think coaches and players probably first and then perhaps executives. So getting around to executives coming in the Hall of Fame I think will take a bit and take a concerted effort.”
Krause did not draft Michael Jordan but he did put the team around him that won rings. It was Krause that made a draft-night trade for Pippen, brought in guys like Horace Grant and Dennis Rodman, and even put Jackson in the coaching chair. He deserves credit for those six banners at the United Center.
As we have discussed before, he will be in the Hall of Fame. Eventually. It’s just a little hard to predict when with that entity.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 2
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights