Jordan Crawford feels he can be better than that other Jordan guy

Oct 28, 2011, 11:12 AM EST

Jordan Crawford Wizards Getty Images

There are things you should not admit publicly. For example, that you like Jimmy Buffett music. Or that you don’t like chocolate. People will just look at you askew if you say that out loud.

Or, if you’re a baller, saying that you think you can be better than Michael Jordan.

Well, we’d like you to meet soon to be second year player for the Wizards, Jordan Crawford. Feel free to look at him askew, because you know Michael Lee from the Washington Post did when Crawford told him this.

“I don’t tell nobody, but I feel like I can be better than Michael Jordan,” Crawford said, without the slightest hint of sarcasm. “When I’m done playing, I don’t want people to say, Michael Jordan is the best player. I want that to be me. That’s how I am. That’s how I was built.”

Um, what? You realize people will look at you sideways and think you’re crazy for saying that, right?

“Yeah, I know that, I definitely know that. But I’m not settling for anything less,” Crawford said. “I feel like I’m better than him, anyway. My mom is going to say I’m better than him.”

Just for the record, Crawford played in 42 games last season, averaged 11.7 points per game in those, had a below average PER of 11.8 and was in the negative on win shares (meaning he cost his team wins). Jordan, by the way, played in a full 82 as a rookie, averaged 28.2 points per game and had a PER of 25.8 and 14 win shares.

But I’m not going to argue with Crawford’s mom. Not a chance.

1. jonka - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM

locket=marijuana intake increase

2. westwoodwarrior8 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM

what is PER and win shares?

3. quizguy66 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:44 PM

He must’ve meant Eddie Jordan.

-QG

4. chicagofan - Oct 29, 2011 at 4:13 AM

During Jordan’s Rookie yr, I remember anxiously awaiting CNNs “Basketball Tonight” with Nick Charles and Fred Hickman for Jordan Highlights whenever the Bulls played. I don’t recall ever seeing a Jordan Crawford highlight–he and his mother must be delusional and/or smoking that “sticky icky”.

5. jrhall888 - Oct 31, 2011 at 12:59 AM

I give the guy props for confidence. To be as great as MJ, you gotta believe. If the thought that he can be better than MJ makes him work hard and become a great player, more power to him. So he put it out there. Now he has to back it up and get it done.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches