Oct 28, 2011, 11:12 AM EDT
There are things you should not admit publicly. For example, that you like Jimmy Buffett music. Or that you don’t like chocolate. People will just look at you askew if you say that out loud.
Or, if you’re a baller, saying that you think you can be better than Michael Jordan.
Well, we’d like you to meet soon to be second year player for the Wizards, Jordan Crawford. Feel free to look at him askew, because you know Michael Lee from the Washington Post did when Crawford told him this.
“I don’t tell nobody, but I feel like I can be better than Michael Jordan,” Crawford said, without the slightest hint of sarcasm. “When I’m done playing, I don’t want people to say, Michael Jordan is the best player. I want that to be me. That’s how I am. That’s how I was built.”
Um, what? You realize people will look at you sideways and think you’re crazy for saying that, right?
“Yeah, I know that, I definitely know that. But I’m not settling for anything less,” Crawford said. “I feel like I’m better than him, anyway. My mom is going to say I’m better than him.”
Just for the record, Crawford played in 42 games last season, averaged 11.7 points per game in those, had a below average PER of 11.8 and was in the negative on win shares (meaning he cost his team wins). Jordan, by the way, played in a full 82 as a rookie, averaged 28.2 points per game and had a PER of 25.8 and 14 win shares.
But I’m not going to argue with Crawford’s mom. Not a chance.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 5
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3