Oct 28, 2011, 11:12 AM EST
There are things you should not admit publicly. For example, that you like Jimmy Buffett music. Or that you don’t like chocolate. People will just look at you askew if you say that out loud.
Or, if you’re a baller, saying that you think you can be better than Michael Jordan.
Well, we’d like you to meet soon to be second year player for the Wizards, Jordan Crawford. Feel free to look at him askew, because you know Michael Lee from the Washington Post did when Crawford told him this.
“I don’t tell nobody, but I feel like I can be better than Michael Jordan,” Crawford said, without the slightest hint of sarcasm. “When I’m done playing, I don’t want people to say, Michael Jordan is the best player. I want that to be me. That’s how I am. That’s how I was built.”
Um, what? You realize people will look at you sideways and think you’re crazy for saying that, right?
“Yeah, I know that, I definitely know that. But I’m not settling for anything less,” Crawford said. “I feel like I’m better than him, anyway. My mom is going to say I’m better than him.”
Just for the record, Crawford played in 42 games last season, averaged 11.7 points per game in those, had a below average PER of 11.8 and was in the negative on win shares (meaning he cost his team wins). Jordan, by the way, played in a full 82 as a rookie, averaged 28.2 points per game and had a PER of 25.8 and 14 win shares.
But I’m not going to argue with Crawford’s mom. Not a chance.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 5
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)