Oct 28, 2011, 11:12 AM EDT
There are things you should not admit publicly. For example, that you like Jimmy Buffett music. Or that you don’t like chocolate. People will just look at you askew if you say that out loud.
Or, if you’re a baller, saying that you think you can be better than Michael Jordan.
Well, we’d like you to meet soon to be second year player for the Wizards, Jordan Crawford. Feel free to look at him askew, because you know Michael Lee from the Washington Post did when Crawford told him this.
“I don’t tell nobody, but I feel like I can be better than Michael Jordan,” Crawford said, without the slightest hint of sarcasm. “When I’m done playing, I don’t want people to say, Michael Jordan is the best player. I want that to be me. That’s how I am. That’s how I was built.”
Um, what? You realize people will look at you sideways and think you’re crazy for saying that, right?
“Yeah, I know that, I definitely know that. But I’m not settling for anything less,” Crawford said. “I feel like I’m better than him, anyway. My mom is going to say I’m better than him.”
Just for the record, Crawford played in 42 games last season, averaged 11.7 points per game in those, had a below average PER of 11.8 and was in the negative on win shares (meaning he cost his team wins). Jordan, by the way, played in a full 82 as a rookie, averaged 28.2 points per game and had a PER of 25.8 and 14 win shares.
But I’m not going to argue with Crawford’s mom. Not a chance.
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 5
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 4
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 60
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 68
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31