Oct 28, 2011, 6:46 PM EST
Even when you know it’s coming, it doesn’t make it any less painful.
There will be no NBA games in November.
That also means there will be no 82 game NBA season this year, he said.
“It’s not practical, possible or prudent to have a full season now… in light of the breakdown of talks there will not be a full NBA schedule this season,” Stern said.
This cancelation will hit the players in the pocketbook — their first paycheck for this season was due on Nov. 15 (they get paid on the 15th and 30th during the season).
A number of owners had wanted to make the players miss paychecks, to feel that pain, knowing that is their ultimate leverage. The players have been dug in for more than a year knowing this was coming and many say they are fine. Still missing a paycheck is missing a paycheck.
The sticking points in talks remain the split of basketball related income (league revenue) and how a more stiff luxury tax will fit.
The big date looming on the horizon is Christmas, a showcase day for the NBA where marquee teams play on national television. For the more casual sports fan, that is like the NBA’s second opening day. It’s when they really start watching. It will take about 30 days to get up and running from the day the two sides reach a handshake deal, so you do the math. It’s not long.
- Brook Lopez suffers broken foot, out for the season 21
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 10
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 6
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 16
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 36
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)