Iverson says family issues behind him, wants one more shot

Oct 27, 2011, 10:53 AM EST

iverson-turkey

Guys who are 36 years old, are coming off an injury and played last season overseas don’t usually get another shot at the NBA.

But Allen Iverson has never fit the mold.

Iverson has said for a while that he wants another shot at ending his career in the NBA. He reiterated that to Marc Spears of Yahoo. That may be hard to come by not only due to age and injury, but also because during his last season in the league he did not play well and was a big distraction in the Memphis and Philadelphia locker rooms.

What is different now is Iverson admits his family issues were a distraction then that are behind him now.

“That wasn’t me at all,” Iverson said. “Obviously, I was dealing with the situation with my daughter and going through a divorce, and I wasn’t there mentally. In my career those last couple years were so hard for me because I wasn’t there. Mentally, I wasn’t there.

“During those 48 minutes on the basketball court, all I [ever] cared about was that time right there. Nothing else distracted me. But at times, I felt myself standing on the court just thinking about my daughter, thinking about the situation with me and my wife. I wasn’t giving [the teams] everything I had mentally.”

Iverson did not have an offer he liked to play in Europe this season (he played in Turkey last season, until he was injured). It’s hard to know what might await him on the NBA side.

Iverson is saying all the right things — that he is willing to come off the bench and play for any team, contender or bottom dweller. He just wants back in the league again. The rumors of drinking and gambling problems — true or not — will not help that cause, but Iverson says that is all in the past. He’s back and ready to ball.

In what will be an odd, lockout-shortened season, some team might be willing to give him that shot. Maybe. Although it still would feel different to fans.

1. mjbulls45 - Oct 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I just turned 25 two weeks ago….

yes I feel old, I feel old because I feel like I’m the only one who remembers CLASSIC NBA BASKETBALL in the 2000s decade….

these teenager kids and 21 year old cats dont know anything, they never saw it like some of us people my age…

they never saw Allen Iverson take a 1 man team to the NBA finals, the step over shot against Tyronn Lou in game 1,

or the MJ crossover J, or his Georgetown days with the patton leather black jordans the team had, victor page, jerome williams, othella the big fella harrington, TOUMOU!

A.I was an Icon , he still is, depending on who you ask AND HOW OLD THEY ARE TO REMEMBER !!!

these young cats dont know anything about the Kings – Lakers battles in the West Finals, NETS Jason Kidd glory days, early spurs with David Robinson, the REAL LAKERS DYNASTY WITH SHAQ in his prime, antoine walker & paul pierce 1 2 punch for the celts, reggie and the pacers, the list goes on and on….

If we wanna take it back further, the 90s were even better, MJ, Knicks, Pacers, you know the rest of the story of how the East was won…

AND THIS IS WHY

i will always support any player from the 2000s in todays game, they are the last living and playing links to the best NBA days from that era… players like Pierce, Garnett, KOBE, AI, SHAQ (retired – SAD – 90s era) ,

i’ll be honest , I really do NOT like the breed of NBA stars, I like Durant, Rose is exciting, russell westbrook ball hog, Wade ehhh? , Lebron – mixed feelings , etc….

2000s & A.I. FOREVER!

2. livingsacrifice86 - Oct 27, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I’ve always like AI, he was a phenominal player to watch and root for, because he always gave everything he had. That being said, while I would love to see him get another shot in the NBA, I wish he would just call it quits. There is just way too many distractions with him, true or not. He can’t seem to catch a break

3. asublimeday - Oct 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM

This dude balled with MJ. Sad to see him go out like this

4. ghelton03 - Oct 27, 2011 at 8:58 PM

AI was always more concerned about his personal stats than winning. He has never been a team player. The last thing any team needs is an aging player trying to run up personal stats so that he can go out in a positive fashion. Wherever he is at, he will always be asking, what can these guys do for ME?

5. progress2011 - Oct 30, 2011 at 7:00 PM

At 36, A.I. is still arguably a better ball handler and playmaker than many guards in the league ! If I were trying to put a championship run together ” THIS YEAR ” , would I keep these guys on the bench or pick up A.I.

New York Knicks- Tony Douglas, Landry Fields, Andy Rautins, Iman Shumpert, Bill Walker

Philly- Antonio Daniels, Jrue Holiday, Jodie Meeks, Louis Williams,

Toronto- Jerryd Bayless, Linas Keiza

Cleveland – Christian Eyenga, Alonzo Gee, Daniel Gibson, Manny Harris, Kyrie Irving,

I could go on with the list of ” SCRUBS ” that occupy NBA rosters but I think you get the point.

A.I. would beat all these guys, everyday of the week ( twice on non game days ) !

So, does he deserve another shot based on his talent and skill – YES

BUT the NBA/ Stern are a very political organization. If you don’t sing the right tune and your age or talent slip, just a little…..you will be ex-communicated !

A.I.’s situation is based more on NBA/ Stern politics. Not if he is still talented enough.

The NBA needs an owner like Al Davis was in football ! Pick guys that maybe are not perfect good boys, but they can help you win.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches