Oct 27, 2011, 11:09 AM EDT
NBA coaches tend to be workaholics. Guys who spend countless hours studying film, coming up with game plans and finding ways to pass that information on to players in a manner they can digest. Those are long, long days.
Not Mark Jackson.
The New Warriors coach spoke with Matt Steinmetz at CSNBayArea.com and said he is not going to overwork himself or his players.
Jackson said he’s not the kind of coach who will be working 16-hour days, laboring over game tapes and spending an inordinate amount of time mulling the nuances of his job. Jackson called coaches and coaching staffs that are said to be in the office before sunrise and out of the office after the sun goes down are guilty of “false hustle…”
Jackson said he’s not big on long practices. He’d rather go shorter than longer when it comes to team workouts.
“If you’re efficient and put quality work in, we can move on,” Jackson said. “Ultimately, it’s a long season. We will go over this stuff, well go over it in detail and then we’ll be out of here. I’m not a guy who wants to keep players here three or four hours just to say we’re here.”
So, Erik Spoelstra false hustled the Heat to the NBA finals last season?
Jackson gets that in the end this is about the players. Talent wins in the NBA. It didn’t matter who coached last season’s Timberwolves — Kurt Rambis, Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach with John Wooden as his assistant — they were going to be bad.
But the margins between teams are pretty slim, especially the closer you get to the top, and that is where the little edge of coaching matters. Things gleaned from a lot of film study can matter. Certainly, it’s not all about Xs and Os — Phil Jackson wasn’t huge on that, although his staff was. What matters most is getting the players comfortable and confident in what they have to do. We’ll see if Jackson can do that. But having some Xs and Os up your sleeve can help with that.
We’ll see what his workload is like as the season wears on.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 7
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 44
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional