Oct 26, 2011, 4:13 PM EDT
Right now, Derrick Rose is an absolute steal for the Chicago Bulls. Thank you, rookie pay scale! The league’s MVP made $5.6 million last season, well below market value, and is due to make just a shade under $7 million next season. Then his rookie deal ends and he’ll get max money (whatever that is in the new system).
And like just about everyone making max money right now, Rose looks back at the pre-cap days and drools. Owners fought hard to institute a maximum salary in 1998 (the last lockout) because they saw what Shaquille O’Neal got, what Kevin Garnett got, and they freaked.
Of course, Rose likes money. Can’t blame him for that. And can’t blame him for wondering just how much he’d be worth on the open market. Which is what he told the Associated Press.
“I wish it was back like where it was in the old days where there wasn’t a cap,” Rose told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “Back in the day, they were giving guys coming out of college multimillion-dollar contracts, so why stop it now? The game is growing. There’s no need to stop it.”
The NFL would love to talk to you about how well paying big money to high draft picks out of college works.
Of course Rose likes the no max salary idea because he’d get paid upwards of $25 million a season. Then again, he’d have nobody else of quality on his team to go around him, because if you think the owners are getting rid of a salary cap all together you have not been watching the talks. Sure, there would be no Miami Heat in that scenario, the stars would be spread around, but would we see better basketball if we just had some stars surrounded by mediocre talent?
Or, maybe that just sounds all too familiar t Rose.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 5
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million