Oct 26, 2011, 4:13 PM EST
Right now, Derrick Rose is an absolute steal for the Chicago Bulls. Thank you, rookie pay scale! The league’s MVP made $5.6 million last season, well below market value, and is due to make just a shade under $7 million next season. Then his rookie deal ends and he’ll get max money (whatever that is in the new system).
And like just about everyone making max money right now, Rose looks back at the pre-cap days and drools. Owners fought hard to institute a maximum salary in 1998 (the last lockout) because they saw what Shaquille O’Neal got, what Kevin Garnett got, and they freaked.
Of course, Rose likes money. Can’t blame him for that. And can’t blame him for wondering just how much he’d be worth on the open market. Which is what he told the Associated Press.
“I wish it was back like where it was in the old days where there wasn’t a cap,” Rose told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “Back in the day, they were giving guys coming out of college multimillion-dollar contracts, so why stop it now? The game is growing. There’s no need to stop it.”
The NFL would love to talk to you about how well paying big money to high draft picks out of college works.
Of course Rose likes the no max salary idea because he’d get paid upwards of $25 million a season. Then again, he’d have nobody else of quality on his team to go around him, because if you think the owners are getting rid of a salary cap all together you have not been watching the talks. Sure, there would be no Miami Heat in that scenario, the stars would be spread around, but would we see better basketball if we just had some stars surrounded by mediocre talent?
Or, maybe that just sounds all too familiar t Rose.
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 4
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 4
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18