Oct 26, 2011, 10:18 AM EDT
According to Marca, Real Madrid is studying the possibility to make a rich proposal to Marc Gasol. The Spanish team wants Marc Gasol to be the franchise player for the future.
Florentino Perez, president of the club, gave his approval to the entire operation. The biggest hurdle is the NBA lockout. Marc Gasol said that he will start considering proposals from Europe and Spain just if the NBA season will be completely cancelled.
Gasol is a restricted free agent but signing him to an extension was something the Grizzlies said was their top priority (back when they could talk about players). He could accept a multi-year offer from Madrid and play in Spain full time if he so chooses (Memphis would retain his rights so long as they extended qualifying offers to him; this is the same situation Josh Childress was in when he bolted to Greece for a couple seasons).
Gasol is working out with his brother Pau at the Barcelona facilities (where they both played before coming to the NBA). Gasol is not going to sign anywhere so long as there might be an NBA season, but if that blows up all bets are off.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 11
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 6
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 32
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2