Oct 26, 2011, 10:18 AM EDT
According to Marca, Real Madrid is studying the possibility to make a rich proposal to Marc Gasol. The Spanish team wants Marc Gasol to be the franchise player for the future.
Florentino Perez, president of the club, gave his approval to the entire operation. The biggest hurdle is the NBA lockout. Marc Gasol said that he will start considering proposals from Europe and Spain just if the NBA season will be completely cancelled.
Gasol is a restricted free agent but signing him to an extension was something the Grizzlies said was their top priority (back when they could talk about players). He could accept a multi-year offer from Madrid and play in Spain full time if he so chooses (Memphis would retain his rights so long as they extended qualifying offers to him; this is the same situation Josh Childress was in when he bolted to Greece for a couple seasons).
Gasol is working out with his brother Pau at the Barcelona facilities (where they both played before coming to the NBA). Gasol is not going to sign anywhere so long as there might be an NBA season, but if that blows up all bets are off.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 14
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 55
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 30
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 73