Oct 26, 2011, 10:18 AM EDT
According to Marca, Real Madrid is studying the possibility to make a rich proposal to Marc Gasol. The Spanish team wants Marc Gasol to be the franchise player for the future.
Florentino Perez, president of the club, gave his approval to the entire operation. The biggest hurdle is the NBA lockout. Marc Gasol said that he will start considering proposals from Europe and Spain just if the NBA season will be completely cancelled.
Gasol is a restricted free agent but signing him to an extension was something the Grizzlies said was their top priority (back when they could talk about players). He could accept a multi-year offer from Madrid and play in Spain full time if he so chooses (Memphis would retain his rights so long as they extended qualifying offers to him; this is the same situation Josh Childress was in when he bolted to Greece for a couple seasons).
Gasol is working out with his brother Pau at the Barcelona facilities (where they both played before coming to the NBA). Gasol is not going to sign anywhere so long as there might be an NBA season, but if that blows up all bets are off.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61