Oct 26, 2011, 10:18 AM EST
According to Marca, Real Madrid is studying the possibility to make a rich proposal to Marc Gasol. The Spanish team wants Marc Gasol to be the franchise player for the future.
Florentino Perez, president of the club, gave his approval to the entire operation. The biggest hurdle is the NBA lockout. Marc Gasol said that he will start considering proposals from Europe and Spain just if the NBA season will be completely cancelled.
Gasol is a restricted free agent but signing him to an extension was something the Grizzlies said was their top priority (back when they could talk about players). He could accept a multi-year offer from Madrid and play in Spain full time if he so chooses (Memphis would retain his rights so long as they extended qualifying offers to him; this is the same situation Josh Childress was in when he bolted to Greece for a couple seasons).
Gasol is working out with his brother Pau at the Barcelona facilities (where they both played before coming to the NBA). Gasol is not going to sign anywhere so long as there might be an NBA season, but if that blows up all bets are off.
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 0
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 3
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 2
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 12
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 13
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (48)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (37)