Oct 26, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
You know that big planned international tour of players going all over the globe? The World All-Star Classic? The legs may have just come out from under it.
LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul all have pulled out of it at the last minute, tweets ESPN’s Chris Broussard. This was on top of Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook having pulled out previously.
Darren Rovell of CNBC tweeted this on the same topic:
Reason LeBron not playing in NBA stars World Tour? Says he wants to train & spend time with family.
There are still other big names attached to the tour, including Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant and Kevin Garnett, but it’s going to be hard to keep sponsors involved after some of the biggest names have pulled out. (UPDATE: Durant’s people now say he is 50/50.)
You get the feeling the Jenga tower that was this tour is about to collapse.
Tickets — starting at $50 and going up to more than $450 — had already been on sale for the first game of the tour, Sunday in Puerto Rico. Those ticket sales have been suspended. The tour is then scheduled to move on to London, Macau and Melbourne, Australia.
All these stars pulling out on the same day there is rumors of progress on the NBA labor front could lead one to be optimistic about the NBA getting its act together. Maybe, although reports suggest the two are not related. It is not only completely possible but likely this tour would simply collapse under its own weight.
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 1
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 0
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 8
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 4
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 24
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 4