Oct 26, 2011, 9:48 AM EST
If you have the chance to interview the president, do you ask him about the Kardashians and the NBA lockout?
Actually, I probably would ask about the lockout, but then again I write about the NBA every day. It’s on my mind. President Barack Obama was on the Jay Leno show Tuesday night and in one segment (video below) they discuss L.A. landmark restaurant Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles (seriously, as an L.A. native, if you come here you need to stop there and eat), and they talk NBA.
Here is what the president said.
“Well, look, if you look at the NFL, they were able to settle theirs — and I think they understood. Players were making millions of dollars. Owners, some of us are worth billions of dollars. We should be able to figure out how to split a $9 billion pot so that our fans, who are allowing us to make all of this money, can actually have a good season. And I think the owners and the basketball players need to think the same way…
” I’m concerned about (losing the season). They need to remind themselves that the reason they are so successful is because a whole bunch of folks out there love basketball. Basketball has actually done well, but these types of lockouts a lot of times take a long time to recover from.”
Nothing too in depth there — not that I really expected the president to discuss the split of BRI — but his point speaks for a lot of fans (and me) who see the entire exercise as ridiculous. People who wonder how you have a game-blocking lockout during the worst recession in generations. Yet, here we are.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 5
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 7
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 25
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 11