Oct 26, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
Seriously, I do want a Maserati. A 2004 Sypder, ideally. The problem is it’s a tad outside the “blogger affordability index.” Also, as a father of young daughters in car seats, the two-seat convertible Sypder may not be an ideal match for my current lifestyle. Basically, I want it, but it’s not going to happen.
On a separate note, Larry Hughes wants back into the NBA.
This is what he told our man Michael Lee at the Washington Post.
“Obviously, I wanted to play,” Hughes said recently of the 2010-11 season. “At the same time I wanted to be stable. I didn’t want to go to a situation where it was a one-year deal, or partial guarantee deal where at any time you could be out of there moving on. I wanted certain things after moving around the past three years, to different teams, I wanted something solid. If I didn’t get that, I wasn’t coming back.”
But when he participated in the Impact Basketball Competitive Training Series last month Las Vegas, the 32-year-old Hughes said that he wasn’t quite ready to retire. “I still got some game left. Having a role on a team, a contending team, is what I’m looking for. We’ll see how it goes.”
Last time we saw Hughes was when he was splitting time between the Knicks and Bobcats in the 2009-10 season, shooting 35.5 percent from the floor, 30 percent from three and with a below average PER of 12.
The thing is, there are guys in the league with a PER of 12 who can play a role on a good team. However, if he wants a guaranteed deal, well, you can refer back to the first paragraph of this post.
The problem with Hughes was the $13 million he was making while being below average. If he shows he is healthy, in shape, is willing to be quiet and sit on the bench and accept his 10 minutes a game and a minimum salary, maybe there is a role for him.
But do you think he can do all that? Do you think an NBA GM is going to bet he can? Exactly.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 18
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10