Oct 26, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
UPDATE 9:51 pm: The format for this weekend has now been announced.
All the players will be broken out into four teams. There will be two games on Saturday, Nov. 12 at the Thomas and Mack off the strip in Vegas (11 a.m. and 2 p.m.). Then on Saturday night all the players will watch the Pacquiao-Marquez fight and party afterwards. (That is not on the official itinerary, but it might as well be.)
On Sunday, the two teams that won Saturday will play for the right to win $100,000. So there is some cash and reason to be motivated. Might make for an interesting show.
If they solve the lockout before then all bets are off. Even in Vegas.
2:59 pm: Allen Iverson is still a draw.
Current players look on him as a trend setter, as authentic. So when he started to put together a big exhibition game at the Thomas & Mack in Las Vegas for the Nov. 11-12 weekend, he has got a lot of big names to sign up.
Here is the latest list, via the Commercial Appeal.
Confirmed players include: Amare Stoudemire (New York Knicks), Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder), Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics), Tyreke Evans (Sacramento Kings), Lou Williams (Philadelphia 76ers), Hakim Warrick (Phoenix Suns), Chauncey Billups (New York Knicks), Al Harrington (Denver Nuggets), Stephen Jackson (Golden State Warriors), Monte Ellis (Golden State Warriors), Corey Maggette (Charlotte Bobcats), Matt Barnes (Los Angeles Lakers), David Lee (Golden State Warriors), James Harden (Oklahoma City Thunder), Ryan Hollins (Cleveland Cavaliers), Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers), Kemba Walker (Charlotte Bobcats), Derrick Williams (Minnesota Timberwolves) and Marcus Morris (Houston Rockets).
iLinkSports.com, a web-based sports network connecting sports and athletes globally, will stream the game live.
Tony Allen also will be part of it.
This is where we are now in the lockout — Iverson will battle Dwight Howard for players, as Howard wanted to do a game in Orlando that weekend. We’ve got more charity games than we know what to do with.
What would make me happy? To see all these games fall apart because the lockout has ended and training camps are starting. Wishful thinking, I know.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 16
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 20
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2