Oct 26, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
UPDATE 9:51 pm: The format for this weekend has now been announced.
All the players will be broken out into four teams. There will be two games on Saturday, Nov. 12 at the Thomas and Mack off the strip in Vegas (11 a.m. and 2 p.m.). Then on Saturday night all the players will watch the Pacquiao-Marquez fight and party afterwards. (That is not on the official itinerary, but it might as well be.)
On Sunday, the two teams that won Saturday will play for the right to win $100,000. So there is some cash and reason to be motivated. Might make for an interesting show.
If they solve the lockout before then all bets are off. Even in Vegas.
2:59 pm: Allen Iverson is still a draw.
Current players look on him as a trend setter, as authentic. So when he started to put together a big exhibition game at the Thomas & Mack in Las Vegas for the Nov. 11-12 weekend, he has got a lot of big names to sign up.
Here is the latest list, via the Commercial Appeal.
Confirmed players include: Amare Stoudemire (New York Knicks), Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder), Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics), Tyreke Evans (Sacramento Kings), Lou Williams (Philadelphia 76ers), Hakim Warrick (Phoenix Suns), Chauncey Billups (New York Knicks), Al Harrington (Denver Nuggets), Stephen Jackson (Golden State Warriors), Monte Ellis (Golden State Warriors), Corey Maggette (Charlotte Bobcats), Matt Barnes (Los Angeles Lakers), David Lee (Golden State Warriors), James Harden (Oklahoma City Thunder), Ryan Hollins (Cleveland Cavaliers), Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers), Kemba Walker (Charlotte Bobcats), Derrick Williams (Minnesota Timberwolves) and Marcus Morris (Houston Rockets).
iLinkSports.com, a web-based sports network connecting sports and athletes globally, will stream the game live.
Tony Allen also will be part of it.
This is where we are now in the lockout — Iverson will battle Dwight Howard for players, as Howard wanted to do a game in Orlando that weekend. We’ve got more charity games than we know what to do with.
What would make me happy? To see all these games fall apart because the lockout has ended and training camps are starting. Wishful thinking, I know.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 24
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 11
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 5
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0