Oct 26, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
UPDATE 9:51 pm: The format for this weekend has now been announced.
All the players will be broken out into four teams. There will be two games on Saturday, Nov. 12 at the Thomas and Mack off the strip in Vegas (11 a.m. and 2 p.m.). Then on Saturday night all the players will watch the Pacquiao-Marquez fight and party afterwards. (That is not on the official itinerary, but it might as well be.)
On Sunday, the two teams that won Saturday will play for the right to win $100,000. So there is some cash and reason to be motivated. Might make for an interesting show.
If they solve the lockout before then all bets are off. Even in Vegas.
2:59 pm: Allen Iverson is still a draw.
Current players look on him as a trend setter, as authentic. So when he started to put together a big exhibition game at the Thomas & Mack in Las Vegas for the Nov. 11-12 weekend, he has got a lot of big names to sign up.
Here is the latest list, via the Commercial Appeal.
Confirmed players include: Amare Stoudemire (New York Knicks), Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder), Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics), Tyreke Evans (Sacramento Kings), Lou Williams (Philadelphia 76ers), Hakim Warrick (Phoenix Suns), Chauncey Billups (New York Knicks), Al Harrington (Denver Nuggets), Stephen Jackson (Golden State Warriors), Monte Ellis (Golden State Warriors), Corey Maggette (Charlotte Bobcats), Matt Barnes (Los Angeles Lakers), David Lee (Golden State Warriors), James Harden (Oklahoma City Thunder), Ryan Hollins (Cleveland Cavaliers), Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers), Kemba Walker (Charlotte Bobcats), Derrick Williams (Minnesota Timberwolves) and Marcus Morris (Houston Rockets).
iLinkSports.com, a web-based sports network connecting sports and athletes globally, will stream the game live.
Tony Allen also will be part of it.
This is where we are now in the lockout — Iverson will battle Dwight Howard for players, as Howard wanted to do a game in Orlando that weekend. We’ve got more charity games than we know what to do with.
What would make me happy? To see all these games fall apart because the lockout has ended and training camps are starting. Wishful thinking, I know.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 21
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14