Oct 25, 2011, 3:56 PM EDT
Lakers fans can be a bit over the top. (Celtics fans, don’t you start to point fingers. You either, Portland.)
But this youth from Belize has everyone even I know in Los Angeles beat — the photo is to the right (and below, also). The story is on my old haunt at NBCLosAngeles.com.
While recently visiting the Caribbean, Los Angeles-native Matt Sepulveda stopped in Belize City, Belize. Nestled in the city’s cemetery — almost 3,000 miles away from Staples Center — was a grave decked out in yellow paint with team logos and basketballs drawn on the sides.
According to the cemetery’s caretaker, the grave belongs to Arthur Young, a top basketball prospect who sadly was shot and killed after an argument with an acquaintance, said Sepulveda. The shooting happened in 2003 or 2004 while Young was still in high school, according to the caretaker.
Young was a huge Lakers fan, and so was his father, hence the Lakers grave, said Sepulveda.
For the record, youth getting shot down is not amusing at in any culture, any time.
But I’ve never seen anything quite like this. Even Jerry Buss will not have a tomb like that.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 6
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record